Author Topic: GETTING THE KNAPPING KNACK  (Read 2385 times)

Offline sailordad

GETTING THE KNAPPING KNACK
« on: October 13, 2009, 12:00:21 am »
well as most of ya'll know i havent been doing this lon and am self taught
well i started with pressure flaking slabs,then moved up to spalling rock and now i am doing some percussion knapping
i have gone thru a fair amount of rock ust trying to learn how to spall,still trying to get better at that.
i have also gone trhu afair share of rock trying to figure out percussion knapping.
i feel that things have been starting to come together for me,not that i am at the level of a lot of you folks.
so i was working on a piece of rock the other day,all percussion.i listen to the rock and let it decide the shape and size that it wants to be.
well i got the shape out of the rock that it wanted,and i was looking it over when the rock talked to me.
yes i said "it talked to me"
it was at thsi time that the rock told me it wanted to be fluted.who am i to argue with a rock.
after all i am just a mere man,and well lets face it.the rock,well the rock is part of mother earth,and we should all listen to our mother.
now i have never made a true flute before.however i did get to wathc a guy back in february.his name was Jim Redfern.
i wacthed him make a giant clovis.as he made it he expalined the process of setting up a nipple for making a flute.
i did as best as i could at trying to remeber what he said and this is the end result of trying

now i was totaly impressed with what i had just accomplished :o
so i flipped it over,did a whole lot of grinding and making my nipple again
then i was ready to make flute #2,well here is the end results of that

well as you can see,i chicked out and didnt give it the smack that i should of
oh well,atleast i know i can make a flute.now i just gotta get ballsy and make two on one point lol

now if anyone has any idea of the style of point this is or may be feel free to fill me in,as i know nothing of point names etc.
i just now that you cant make one that hasnt already been made in the past.

this is from another piece of the rock that Jesse sent me
thanks again         
                                                                                               peace,
                                                                                                     tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: GETTING THE KNAPPING KNACK
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:02:56 am »
Thats the way to learn. Just keep on whackin and learn from your mistakes.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:22:07 am »
Looks good Tim! Wish I could sit around and watch Redfearn (masterknapper). Don't have my book with me for the point type - keep on whackin em though ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:36:15 am »
yer doin better than me. great work.
lets just shoot it

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:39:03 am »
Doin good man.
i listen to the rock and let it decide the shape and size that it wants to be.
Dont know about that.. As a Flint knapper you have to own the rock make it do what you want.. if there is no platform... make one... ext.. you have to controll the rock.
  if you tuck you presher flaker and dug out the base of yer point just a little and made it look more like a " V " you'd have a Dalton.. google Dalton and yer see... lookin good Tim keep it up!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 01:22:02 pm »
Coming right along tim, gotta wonder where yer knapping though to damn cold outside for knappin??
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:11:23 pm »
leapingbear: i used to try and make the rock do what i wanted,but it seemed like i broke all of then.thats why i let it decide.
                  i still take charge and try and set up platforms and such,but it seems if i try to force what i want it to be i bust them.
                  well thats why i switched,but maybe i should try again after all i think i have advanced some since then.

Dana: ya its been too damn cold out side for knapping,but a space heater in the garage does wonders.especially with a fan on
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 12:07:42 am »
Wow tim.

For someone who has just started and is self taught, I gotta tell ya you're progressing at a very fast pace!  Already fluting????  Slow down there Speedracer.....you're making all of us look bad!  Great job on the fluting...that's very hard to do!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 12:33:13 am »

Sailordad, and Dana;  Too cold out side?  Come down here.  Sat. we had a heat index of 105.  And about the same humidity! :o
Yeah, my rock talks to me too.  Usually it just says, "hah!" Gotcha! and I am heading back into the house, as I am holding pressure, and going to the bathroom to wash off the blood, and get it dried, and put a suitable bandaide on it.  But I guess if I was a rock, and someone came along, and started whacking the snot out of me, I'd cut em too! >:D  But if I were a rock, would I also be an Isleland?  ;D Oh, yeah, that's just Simon and Garfunkle. ::)  Sorry those things just pop into my head.  So why the heck don't the numbers to the Lottery, and Powerball do that? ::)  Well actually they do, but they aren't for the ones I am playing.   :(  At least......so far...... ::)

Wayne

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 09:51:19 am »
Yeah it's been cold, tim is just up the road from me here in MN, we've already had more snow in october than we've had in the last 30 years or something, and about 25 degrees below avg temp. oh well.

lookin' good sailor, i'm just starting to try my hand at pressure flaking some glass.
45# at 27"