Author Topic: Shoots need info  (Read 1502 times)

Offline kayakfisher

Shoots need info
« on: October 03, 2009, 10:09:21 pm »
I was sitting in my stand tonight , when I started noticing all these reasonable straight shoots or young trees growing up. I thought they might, make arrows, some are green stem ed some look like young oak trees coming up . What is the process peel ,straighting , let dry then try any input from those that have done it would be appreciated.
                                                    Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Shoots need info
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:24:50 pm »
First of all cut them longer than you need them. Bundle them all together with twine or whatever you have, then let them dry for a while. Once they are dry peel or scrape the bark, straighten with heat, flectch and shoot. It may take a month or so for them to dry out. I usually have several bundles drying at different intervals. You can also hand straighten them while they are drying. That makes it easier when the final straightening comes.
I hope this helped. It is not as hard as you think and there are several different ways to do it. Cut them longer than you need so they have room to split as they dry.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Shoots need info
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:50:25 pm »
Good advice from nugget. There's info on my site too. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/boardbowbuildalong.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!