Author Topic: Help with kids longbow dimensions  (Read 4014 times)

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Help with kids longbow dimensions
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:51:57 pm »
I'm just starting making a kids bow from some yew I got earlier this year. I don't have the TBB yet (it's on my christmas list) so I'm hoping someone can give me some clues as to dimensions to shoot for/start with.

The stave I have to work with now is only 52" long, hence the kids bow, and it's half of a 3" dia. limb. There are some knots, one good size, but solid, one in the center of what is likely to become the lower limb and some other more minor ones along the length but they are all solid and I'm not too worried about them. I'm shooting for about a 25-30 lb draw with an ELB type bow, draw around 20-22".

I debarked, split the stave and sealed the ends and back a while ago and it's gotten down to about 11% MC. I reduced the stave tonight to a 1 1/4" handle to mid limb and down to 3/4" at the tips, 1" to 1 1/2" thick. I need to let it sit for a while longer to lower the MC a bit more.

I appreciate any input I can get, thanks in advance.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Help with kids longbow dimensions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:55:58 pm »
Sounds like you are on the right track.
Take your time.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:02:35 pm »
If you get something worked out, post what you did.  I want to make my daughter a bow.  I have two leftover hackberry staves lying in my dinning room after I made bows from the other two.  There are some knots in these that I would have to work around, but I think it could be done.  I would like to build in a couple of inches of growth room so she could use it for a year or so at least.  Give me a chance to get better before making her another one.  ;)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:17:40 pm »
IMO when building kids bows they are only drawing light weight. , So you can get away with a little bit more, but you still have to make it safe. I have been building bows for my kids as they grow. I have made them safe to shoot , but have used wood that had less than desirable characteristics.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:38:23 pm »
I'd take it down to 1" at the handle, out to mid limb and taper to 1/2" at the tips(for now). Then start reducing it primarily along the belly but along the sides if necessary to get good tiller. The weight should come out OK. The good thing about a kids bow it they(the kids) aren't brainwashed by speed or other superficial stuff. If it flings an arrow, they are good to go. Take advantage of this project to to gain tillering experience.  ;)
  It doesn't matter if the bow is 7' long or 7" long, tillering is tillering!!! ;D 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC