Author Topic: To make it stop checking  (Read 2094 times)

lungbuster

To make it stop checking
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:12:34 am »
this bow is a little wet yet,still have some tillering to do but as its drying it checking at the end,i think when i go to pull it back its going to split unless i can stop it from checking at the tips?????????????

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: To make it stop checking
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:24:56 am »
If it is still somewhat wet you need to seal the ends and back to prevent it from checking. What wood is it?  Shellac is a good sealer and removes easily if needed later or most finishes will go right over the shellac. Carpenters glue is a good sealer too but a bit more difficult to remove when the stave is dry enough to work.
  Also if it is still a bit wet you will cause it to take a set when you stress it. Try to let it dry completely before you bend the limbs more than a few inches.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 11:48:16 am »
You just cut this wood didn't you? A stave needs to dry for awhile ya know. Cutting them down to near bow dimensions will speed up drying time. But we are still talking months of drying time.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 04:09:43 pm »
If it is a little wet, you need to seal the back, and the ends to keep them from drying uneven, which is what causes the cracks and checks.  I agree, schellac is good, laquire is good, deft, Ive even used spray acrilic before to seal a hackberry stave.  That is for the back.  Nothing beats good old fashion wax for the ends.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:31:36 pm »
Finish the back smooth. Remove the nicks, sand with 100 grit, 220 grit, 400 and 600 grit. If you are going to stain then stain the  back. Then put on 3 coats of spar urethane on back and ends only.  Get that spar on pronto. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!