Author Topic: Draw Filing  (Read 4182 times)

Offline NTD

Draw Filing
« on: September 17, 2009, 01:58:47 am »
I'm not sure who to thank because I can't remember who posted it in a tool discussion thread but THANK YOU Anonymous!!!!

I struggled getting a good edge on my scrapers until I tried the draw filing approach...absolutely wonderful!
Put's a good edge quickly on my scrapers, in fact better than my fiskars :P

I've seen a few complaints on the "what tools do you use" threads, but I have to tell you even though 99% of it is rehashed stuff, I glean a new nugget of information from everyone of those, IMO worth the rehash.

Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Draw Filing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:22:03 am »
Hey NTD, will you share this secret with us? 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:04:06 am »
Hey NTD, will you share this secret with us? 

agreed.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 12:24:23 pm »
I just use a belt sander,quick and easy. :) I have tried it and it will for sure get them sharp
but not worth the time, at least for me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 12:34:49 pm »
What  kind  of  sandpaper  are  you  using  Pappy? I  would  imagine sanding  disks  for  wood  wouldn't  last  long  with  metal
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 12:40:48 pm »
I use a worn out belt I leave on one of my sanders.I just set the scraper up square on the edge and rotate It just a bit and it will bring the edge right back in just a second or 2. :) Don't take much. :)
I have done it the other way but it don't seem to last much, if any longer and takes much more
time. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TBod

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 02:40:01 pm »
I use that stuff Chefs uses. A round file covered with synthetic diamonds, very easy to use.
If you wanna be smart you can use the back of a plate of china, or just the concrete on your floor.

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 02:48:07 pm »
I haven't tried the belt sander method but draw filing with a flat mill file only takes me about 10 secs.  You hold the file perpendicular to the scraper and draw it across the length of the scraper edge a few passes until the edge shines and I was good to go.  

Nate Danforth

Offline StevenT

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 02:49:33 pm »
I kind do the same thing with my axes to get a really sharp edge. I use a disk sander with an old disc. Only takes a few swipes and it puts a good clean edge on it. Fast and easy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 03:33:37 pm »
NDT, that is the way I normally do it but lately I've used Pappy's method.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 05:33:41 pm »
I believe the original was by RyanO, titled sharpening scrapers or something of that nature.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 05:36:25 pm »
Thanks Justin,

And thanks RyanO it made my tillering go much quicker.  I'd rather be making shavings than sharpening tools.

I've nearly finished going through the entire forum and if newbies would take that time to go through all the old threads there is a wealth of information!!
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 05:44:28 pm »
Don't thank me yet, I probably led you astray. How about this one by Roger, it is the one I was thinking of. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1237.0.html
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 05:53:56 pm »
There is now a copy of it in the archive library so it is easier to find. Justin

SW Utah

Offline NTD

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 05:56:04 pm »
While a nice post that's not the one I'm referencing.  It was actually a comment made in passing not the focus of the thread (at least not that technique).  I just draw filled no burr rolling or anything else and it made shavings as nice as the ones in that thread you posted.  Thanks for looking for me though Justin.  Regardless of who it was thanks to everyone who passes tidbits of knowledge down to us newbies.  Because of you the road is already well paved for us.  I can't imagine how difficult this art was in the dark ages LOL.  We newbs certainly have it much easier!!
Nate Danforth