Author Topic: Deflexing help  (Read 2025 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

Deflexing help
« on: September 17, 2009, 10:08:12 am »
Can anyone suggest a good way to put some deflex into my bow...it has some natural deflex but im looking for about another inch or two...recurved my tips by boiling/steaming....any suggestions are appreciated, thanks

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Deflexing help
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 10:35:16 am »
Same as with the tips. If the area is too thick still, reduce it to the finished size first for easier bending. Deflexing isn't going to pull out like some reflexing and recurving can. What wood are you using and where do you want the stave to deflex?
  I use mostly osage and it bends easily compared to other woods so dry heat is my preference. With some other woods, boiling or steaming is the ticket. In thicker areas you have to be sure the heat goes all the way through the wood and not just hot to the touch so longer periods of heating will be necessary.
  You could always overstress the stave. That will definitely deflex it!  ;D  Just kidding!!! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:48:44 am »
Im using osage and Im going to be deflexing the handle of the bow...it has some natural deflex already but i would like a little bit more to compensate for the heavy recurving i put into it.

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:04:57 am »
I would get the handle area close to finished dimensions, clamp it to a form at the handle and use a heat gun(with oil) to heat it. A clamp on either side of the handle will draw it into reflex. Go slowly as to not raise any splinters or separate the grain when bending backwards.  Leave it clamped over night to insure it is completely cooled inside and out before removing it from the form.
  You can use steam for this too but I never likes using any wet heat for already dry osage. Others do it regularly with good results. If you do use steam, seal the wood well first. Shellac can handle the moisture and heat as a sealant.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 12:21:05 pm »
I wouldn't deflex that recurve any more than it is, you'll get plenty of deflex as you tiller a recurve, but it's called set. JMO
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 12:22:22 pm »
 ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 01:49:21 pm »
I wouldn't deflex that recurve any more than it is, you'll get plenty of deflex as you tiller a recurve, but it's called set. JMO

I agree.  Get the bows tiller done and see what you have as far as deflex.    I would even add, shot it in a bit, then see if you want any more.  If you want more, heat it in with a heat gun.