Author Topic: Hemlock for arrows?  (Read 11381 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Hemlock for arrows?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 01:57:49 pm »
We have a lot of hemlock up here in southeast alaska,not the best firewood,gets real hard when it cures,makes a good arrow shaft,but I have been favoring the Sitka spruce,seems to just make a nicer arrow,very straight grained,flexible and strong(Sitka spruce).Hemlock Makes a pretty good trim wood because it is so straight grained.(That's what the mill up here does with it)   '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Diligence

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 10:03:36 pm »
Thought an update on the whole "hemlock for arrows" idea was warranted.

I've made half a dozen of them, fletched with goose feathers, or goose feathers and a turkey cock feather.  Shot them a bunch, and all of them are holding up really well, no breakages so far.  Sinew wrapped nocks and fletching with field points.

I can't tell you the spine, but I reduced the diameter from 3/8" down to 11/32" and they fly much better.  Kept playing with one arrow until I liked it, then are making the rest to match.

I think I'll make a bunch more this winter as the grain is so straight and it was dirt cheap from Home Depot.  Might be worth considering if you are on a tight budget and don't want/can't find wild shoots for arrows.

Cheers,
D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 08:40:18 pm »
wow after everybody trashed my hemlock arrows idea here we are with a success story..... Im gonna go ahead and make mine now.
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did