Author Topic: turtle shell  (Read 4064 times)

Offline cheapshot

turtle shell
« on: September 24, 2009, 11:27:13 am »
I was scouting in woods Sunday and found a large empty flat turtle shell. Most of the coverings had popped off. I brought it home and want to make a possibles bag for myself with it. The sections that form the skeleton of the back are beginning to turn loose a little bit in places. My question is: What can I use to coat the inside of the shell for strength and to keep it from coming apart? It must be light when dried, and not expand when it dries or it'll separate the sections then as well. I'd prefer dries clear but thats not a deal breaker to me. Can anyone help me out with this?    Tomi  ;D   

Offline Rickd

Re: turtle shell
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:30:35 pm »
Can you spray the inside with something like Deft

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 02:11:01 am »
I can spray it or brush it with anything you recommend Rick. I don't know what Deft is tho. And I need it to be as strong and stable and lightwt as possible. Whatever you recommend, I'll find and use!!! Thanks.
hey Rick, I checked out "First People" site, and Kirby Sattlers pictures. She is a medicine woman, her name was Natane!!! Many others I recognized! Loved the site!     Tomi :)

Offline Rickd

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:16:25 pm »
Tomi,
  Deft is a Poly whayever they call it and should work to seal it but then again what do I know,,Short note Kirby Sattler is good stuff

Offline smokeu

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 12:44:56 pm »
I think super glue would work really well... it seems to bond to bone very well.

Good luck and post some pics if you get time.

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

lungbuster

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:51:38 am »
ive have many empty snaping,& box turtle shells i clean them really good with a tooth brush hot water and sope,let it dry,the i spray pol$%$%%thane on it,what ever that word is,it works really good,2 coat for shore,i put 3 on mine,but before that make shure you have all the membrain out of it our it will rought awya,,ooo and just use crazy glue on it to put it back together if its falling a part,thay make many diffrent thing,i have 30# sniping turtle shell my 5 year olr kid wore last year for hollaween,like a teenage muntinturtl,it looked good,if i find the pic i will post them.good luck

Offline woodstick

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 08:02:46 pm »
we used deft in wood shop as a sealer clear on alot of our wood projects so you may go to local school and talf to wood shop teacher. or lowes .
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken