Author Topic: Take down sleeve  (Read 3441 times)

Offline bigcountry

Take down sleeve
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:11:53 pm »
Ordered a take down sleeve from 3R.  It comes with 2 brass inserts and the steel sleeve.  I thought it would only come with one brass insert and you would glue the steel sleeve on one half, and glue the brass on another.

Do I fit both brass pieces to both limbs or do you think it was a mistake?
Westminster, MD

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Take down sleeve
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:22:50 pm »
i think you glue the brass inserts to both bow limbs and then the steel sleeve is glued onto one of the brass inserts.  That way the two brass inserts butt up against each other inside the steel sleeve.  Don't quote me on this, it is just my understanding of how it is supposed to work.   Could be wrong though.   ???
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:00:28 pm »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 03:33:53 pm »
Looks like pappy used both and then glued the brass to the steel sleeve. 

I called 3R and they said I didn't have to use extra sleeve.  I figured it would make a better fit.
Westminster, MD

DCM

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 05:26:07 pm »
I used a set with one sleeve.  On this kind of takedown fit is important, and moisture content in the wood will effect fit even under the brass sleeve in my experience.  I'd consider either using both brass sleeves and not gluing either into the steel or just using one sleeve.  Just extra work to fit the brass to the billet, then the brass to the steel.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:52:17 pm »
I'm at the moment meking a takedown with the 3Rivers sleeve, looks to me that one brass sleeve is glued and the other one is free.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 06:41:57 pm »
I'm at the moment meking a takedown with the 3Rivers sleeve, looks to me that one brass sleeve is glued and the other one is free.

Oh, glad I heard this before I started trying to beat out with a dowel.  I haven't started trying to remove the other one yet.
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 10:19:14 pm »
Mr. Pirate, I believe you are correct.  I tried to get that other side out with no luck with a softwood dowl.  It didn't move 1mm.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 09:36:01 am »
I have done several and I glue both brass sleeves to each Billet then glue the brass to the steel on the top limb and the bottom limb as the one I take apart.It's no more trouble to fit the brass to the billet that it is to fit the steel to it.You don't have to fit the brass to the steel it is already a nice fit.Just be real careful when you handle the brass or steel sleeve and not clamp it in a vice or something and warp it.Once it is glued up it is much tougher than when it is separate.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:41:28 am »
All of them I have used come apart. I do keep up with the way the slide together and witch end they come out of,don't know that it matters but seems to fit better one way than the other.Not
much trouble to mark them so that is what I do.Just use a black magic marker.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 10:14:26 am »
Thanks pappy.  Thanks also for your build. 

I am hoping yew wood can handle the smaller handle.  Kinda worried yew will not be as strong as osage at the intersection of of the steel sleeve.

But success or failure, I will find out.
Westminster, MD

Offline spinney

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 01:31:11 pm »
I've used these sleeves many times I glue both billits to the brass sleeves and glue neither brass sleeve to the steel sleave that way the bow brakes down into 3 pieces instead of two (shorter still) and water will not collect in the glued sleeve and damage the bow.

Andrew