Author Topic: 1st time bow in TBB4  (Read 3411 times)

Offline NTD

1st time bow in TBB4
« on: August 30, 2009, 07:07:34 pm »
From what I understand from reading Tim's appendix on buidling your first wooden bow, there is no narrowing for the handle area in this design.  Is this correct?  Is the handle the same width as the widest part of the bow, the 1 3/8"?

Thanks,
Nate

Nate Danforth

radius

Re: 1st time bow in TBB4
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:15:52 pm »
don't waste your time.

Just make a copy of Marc St Louis' recurve he just posted!

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:34:12 pm »
AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA.  While I admit it is a nice bow there are multiple reasons I will not attempt it.  I am not at a skill level that would allow me to produce something even close to that.  I actually wanted to try Tim's 1st bow build ,even though I've built a few working bows, because I feel I actually need to take a step back and revisit some of my basics. 

The other reason and it's not a knock on that fine bow, is that I truley prefer a much simpler looking bow.  Just personal taste.
Nate Danforth

radius

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 07:37:06 pm »
i was just teasing  O:)

Offline JustAim

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 07:40:09 pm »
The handle area is the same width as the limbs from midlimb to midlimb. He's giving you a layout for a bend through the handle bow.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 07:41:45 pm »
Yeah, leave the handle full width.  Tim's 1rst bow build is actually a great process to go by for every bow.  If you've built quite a few bows, you can go way shorter on the length.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:48:42 pm »
Thanks Guys!!!  Sorry Radius, new here and don't know everyone's personalities yet. 

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 08:23:59 pm »
 NTD, We haven't figured out all his personalities yet, either. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »
NTD, We haven't figured out all his personalities yet, either. ;)

aint that the truth           ;D ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 12:07:16 am »
Nate,Yes, the handle in Tim's description is the widest part of the bow. The "bend through the handle" bows are a simple but very effective bow. If the wide handle area is uncomfortable for you you can leave the handle area a bit thicker and narrow the handle width down to a more comfortable width and still get the same effects. You will have to play with it to get the right combo of width to thickness and retain the bend through the handle design.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 11:26:08 am »
Howdy Group,

So, what would you all say the handle thickness should be if one were to make the handle width about 3/4" in width while the limbs are the 1-3/8" wide?  I'm thinking I would have to add only (about) 1/8" to 3/16" in thickness.  (This is for the "bend through the handle" style bow.)

Is 3/4" in width too narrow for a handle width?

I'm looking for a good design for my 63" HHB stave.  I want it to be a "bend through the handle", primitive lookin' huntin' weapon.  Also, I'm thinking of going a little wider o the limb width maybe 1-1/2" wide for 2/3 of the limb length.

What do you all think?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline woodstick

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 11:46:33 am »
i start out the same width after my tiller is done i shape the handle area down to where it feels good in my hand. i also make stiff handle bows. i think it is all in the makers eye as to where the handle ends up. if it feels good go for it. and as far as radius i give up just take him the way he is which is ok by me.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 11:47:25 am »
I normally don't mess with the handle area until the bow is tillered. Then reduce the width just a bit so it bends slightly at full draw. I never measure these things but go by feel.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC