Author Topic: American Bison Horn bow(new pics)  (Read 20120 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: American Bison Horn bow(new pics)
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 12:10:45 pm »
That's pretty neat Timo. Not really what I expected to see from the tittle "Horn bow".....but cool none the less.
How does it perform? Any hand shock? I've never worked with horn but I've always read you need to have heavily reflexed limbs to make the horn belly store enough energy to overcome the added mass weight from the horn vs. a wood belly. Do you find this to be true?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 12:31:28 pm »
This is a laminate (sinewed osage w horn belly), right? Some real craftsmanship here. You've got to really proud of it. Bookmarked under Laminates for BOM for August.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Barrage

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 04:13:18 pm »
Great bow Timo.
Travis

Offline Timo

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 08:07:49 pm »
 Thanks again all for the compliments.

Ryano, Tom Resslers artical a couple issues ago, sparked my interests again in these type of bows. Based off the lakota Indians and the bows they made and used to hunt the buffalo off horse back,short, quick pointing, and with plenty enough power to bury stone tipped arrows deep into the rib cage of the buffalo.  Worth many horses. Perty tough to make I figure, with stone tools?

The horn is perty thin maybe an 1/8" at the thickest place.So there isn't alot of extra mass weight.I figure the sinew adds about as much, and maybe it helps with storing energy? As for performance, I puposely added a good bit of deflex in the handle, to help out on the hand shock, there is very little if any bump to it. I've only shot cane arrows from it so far, and they seem plenty quick enough. I need to run some heavier arrows through it to see how they preform.  I will build more of these bows in the future,and plan on trying some different designs. More reflex in the outer limbs is next on the list.

The core wood is a slat of quarter sawn.I think the next one will from a small stave of some sort.

I definately ain't a bit afraid to shoot some stone tipped arrows with it this fall. ;D

OldBow, yes ,it is buffalo horn belly with sinew backing.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13877.0.html

AKAPK

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 10:41:33 pm »
Timo, How many weeks work did that beaut take to make?

Offline Timo

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 11:20:52 pm »
Akapk, I think I started this bow on the 4th of July weekend? Not real sure. Just finished it first of this week.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 11:24:24 pm »
Tim, that's a beautiful bow and for sure one to be proud of. I hope you kill the biggest deer in Missouri with it this fall. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 12:10:51 am »
Wow Timo, You really topped the chart with that bow. Excellent tiller and detail work and great overall package. I would love to hear about the paint scheme meanings.  Congratulations.   Keenan

Offline Timo

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 07:37:27 am »
Keenan,I explained a little about that on page 2.thanks. :)

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 09:44:30 am »
Timo:  beautiful workman ship!  I love the design and the paint!  How big were the buffalo horns you used?  I have access to lots of young  cow buffalo horns, but they may not have the diameter to use as you did!  Looks to be BOM for Aug!  Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

DCM

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2009, 10:22:43 am »
Plumb dandy Timo, and I really enjoyed the build along thread.

Offline Timo

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2009, 10:45:19 pm »
Wolf, those horns were 16" to the tip, but there is alot that is to thick to use near the tip,maybe 4"?

Tom told me that it is best to get the horns from bulls,and get them in a matched set.Not sure why,I guess for balance purposes?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 10:47:53 pm »
I go away for 2 weeks and this is what I miss!  Wish I could see that in person. 
Supreme!  Gonna check out that build along.

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 11:31:27 pm »
Amazing work Tim... Those pictures really show it well. I like the full draw shot especially. That would make a great magazine cover.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 03:27:19 pm »
Beautiful work as usual Tim. Can't wait to see a hero pic of you, that bow, a stick with a sharp rock tied to it, and some meat.