Author Topic: practice stalkin  (Read 4265 times)

Offline recurve shooter

practice stalkin
« on: August 13, 2009, 12:05:44 am »
howdy folks. i fell off in the woods today in nuthin but my cargo shorts, a bow, and a fluflu to do a little scouting/practice stalking. didnt see much signe, but when i was working back along a 4 wheeler trail along a grown up powerline, i had 3 rabbits blow out from under my feet only 5 feet or so away. i wasnt able to see them before they blew cus they were in brush as high as my eyeballs, but it feels good to know that i can move so quietly when i take my time.

startin to get the itch, jist figured i'd through this out there.  God bless.
lets just shoot it

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: practice stalkin
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 04:49:02 pm »
yeah recurve... I can't wait till at least squirrell season starts here in AL.  It is promptly followed by bow season too.  This is my first year to bowhunt and I am really excited about it as well.   Good luck on your future stalks.    -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 05:05:50 pm »
thanks alot josh.  this is the first year that im really confident in my archery as well. should be a fun one.
lets just shoot it

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:50:18 am »
Get out in the thickets and woods in TN. this time of year in nothing but cargo shorts you will for sure get the itch. ;) ;D ;D in more places than in you mind. :) Sounds like you had fun.I love to do that now and then just not in shorts. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:40:24 pm »
pappy, i soaked myself in deet before i went, and im not alergic to anything out there, so it worked ok for me. dont like saw briers though.
lets just shoot it

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 09:37:16 am »
pappy, i soaked myself in deet before i went, and im not alergic to anything out there, so it worked ok for me. dont like saw briers though.

i wouldnt be doing that to often directly on your skin
deet is known to cause cancer,excellent for bug protection but still not very healthy on your skin
i use deet,but only on my clothes.when i hunt the only bug protection i use is my thermacel.
this year i am going to try the new thermacel scent pads
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:10:47 pm »

i wouldnt be doing that to often directly on your skin
deet is known to cause cancer,excellent for bug protection but still not very healthy on your skin
i use deet,but only on my clothes.when i hunt the only bug protection i use is my thermacel.
this year i am going to try the new thermacel scent pads

huh. i didnt know that. i got to get one of them thermacels before season.
lets just shoot it

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 11:27:23 am »
ya i figured you probably didnt know about the cancer thing with deet
you can get them at most sporting good stores for under $20,have seen them for as little as $14.99

i wont hunt without my thermacell,odor free keeps the skeeters at bay,and they have new scent pads you can use
during deer season.from what i have read they have doe in estrus and other scents too.
so i am giving them a try this year,still think its gonna be hard to beat my old way off scenting
i keep a couple of acorn scent wafers in my blind bag,along with one doe in estrus wafer
usually by fall it stinks so bad like acorns and does,the bucks are tripping over themselves to get to me ;D
not that i have ever really been that much of a deer hunter,my youngest got me into it about 5 years ago.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 11:53:40 am »
I sometimes use a thermocell too but they make vapors of a chemical that repels bugs. You are breathing those vapors even though you can't smell them.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 12:15:23 pm »
I sometimes use a thermocell too but they make vapors of a chemical that repels bugs. You are breathing those vapors even though you can't smell them.

the regular pads are supposed to be citronela,when i use them in my blind all the windows are open and it vents quit well
usually use them when doing stalk type hunting,or just sitting in the woods waiting on them.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 05:37:07 pm »
dad gave me some money for hunting stuff today. thats on my list.
lets just shoot it