Author Topic: Layout for black locust  (Read 6066 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Layout for black locust
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 09:06:59 am »
Yup, Hillbilly, you southern boys (south of RI is south for me. LOL.) just don't know how to grow good BL. Hedge, 10 staves will allow you considerable  learnin' wood. I'm surprised you found some trees in KY to cut. Seal the ends. I leave the bark on. If you remove it also remove the sapwood and seal the back. I love KY. My brother and his family are at this very time moving out of KY and heading to Mississippi. In his area there were few trees anywhere. Good deer population? I should have gone there to hunt a time or 2 but...Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 10:01:48 am »
Jawge, when we bought our farm 10 years ago, it was a cow pasture with very few trees mostly along the fence rows.  We built the our house next to the only "shade trees" in an open field.  They were 2 BL and a nasty tangled mess of osage.  haha.  The ice storm this past winter uprooted about 10 BL ranging from 6 to 12" in diameter.  That's where me stave came from.  There's few deer on my farm.  You're welcome to come down and hunt.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 10:25:18 am »
Thanks, my friend. That's generous. We saw a gigantic osage on some fort. I can't remember the name of it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline smokeu

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 01:46:51 pm »
Exercise those limbs!! Ill measure the one i made and post dimensions but it was really pretty thin limbed, and tried to make it slightly trapped with the belly being ever so slightly wider than the back... It still shooting well, and plan to hunt it this fall.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13264.0.html

Good luck

Mike

Ill post dimensions if I ever get off this job location.
Longview, TEXAS

Offline richpierce

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »
Locust seems to be really variable wood, too-some of it is similar to osage, and some is pure junk. Now if I could figure out how to tell the difference "on the hoof." There may be regional variation also.

The stuff with the really pronounced growth rings seems best to me.  If it is an older tree and the growth rings seem kinda faint without much "grit" to the slow growth wood, the stave is not for me.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 05:47:01 pm »
Yeah I have two nice logs I just saved from a wood pile on a build site. It kills me when I see them knocking down trees and then they just pile them up, wait for them to dry and burn them. I was lucky to be in the area when I saw them starting to knock them down and asked the guy if I could cut a few down before they got started. Big thick rings on these boys I can hardly wait till they dry.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero