Author Topic: Tillering Bows  (Read 5374 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Tillering Bows
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:33:47 am »
The first bow I made I tried to tiller just by stringing it up and eyeballing the tiller.  I have learned that This is not a good option for a beginer.  So I have started to build a tillering tree, which I hear most of you use.  The thing is there are so many different ways to build them, and I have Taken different Ideas from different pitures Ive seen on the web.  I was wondering if any of you would post some pictures of your trees so I can get some more Ideas for the one I am building.  I have an osage roughed out that I need to tiller and I will Post some pictures on here as soon as I can get the Tree built. Thanks for all your help on here guys I really appreciate it.
Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tillering Bows
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 11:48:25 am »
I don't have access to my pics now but basically it is a block to rest the bow on and a pulley below that at least as far down as your max draw length. Run a line(I used 1/4" nylon)through the pulley and attach it to the string. I use an "S" hook or clip for this. Have enough line so you can  stand about 6' back to get a good overall view of the bow while bending. Having a ruler attached or at least having your draw length marked is a good idea.
   I have a portable tree also that I can attach to another post plus my permanent version.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodstick

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:38:56 pm »
if you go to page 2 on bows and you will see new bow by woodstick my tree is on there. which it is just a bow holder out of 2/4 and a line chart in 1 inch incerments, works real good.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline JustAim

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 01:03:28 am »
Just something l drew up real fast. Get yourself some rope or cable ( l use paracord 550 ) and a ''S'' hook or ''Clip hook'' like the others said and the rest l'm sure you can figure out on your own. Just be sure to make the shelf strong so it doesnt break on you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 03:27:38 am »
Here is what I use.  Two pulleys, some rope, and a little bit of lumber.  I made the grid on it to help with eyeballing the tiller. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 07:01:15 am »
The first bow I made I tried to tiller just by stringing it up and eyeballing the tiller.  I have learned that This is not a good option for a beginer. 

Why not ?
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 12:24:12 pm »
Well The tiller just wasnt right. I did what I thought was right and ended up with a hinge. So I thought a tiller tree would help me to better see the tilller.
Tell Riley

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 02:07:54 pm »
For most it is a lot easier to see tiller when you can stand back and look at the bent bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 02:14:05 pm »
Here's a pic of mine, it has a winch on the bottom, and a 100 lb spring balance (both cheapo jobs off the interweb ;))

That's an old Elm Longbow on it.
I keep meaning to round the top of the block a bit more so the the bow is supported at a single point, to allow free movement.
The wooden rule is slotted so it can be adusted to allow for different thickness bow handles (I take draw as back of bow to string) 
With ref to above post...quite right, mine is a pig, because I can't get very far away to get a good look, my workshop is just a single car garage :'(....I've seen some of the HUGE workshops some of you guys have :o... jealous moi? 
Del
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:18:46 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 02:15:29 pm »
For most it is a lot easier to see tiller when you can stand back and look at the bent bow.

thats why i take pics and use windows paint to analyze them
only use my tiller tick for excersizing after scraping,other wise i floor tiller to a short brace then eye ball tiller
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 02:20:55 pm »

thats why i take pics and use windows paint to analyze them
only use my tiller tick for excersizing after scraping,other wise i floor tiller to a short brace then eye ball tiller
Yup, modern digital cameras are a great tool, so is standing in front of the wardrobe mirror (Not while Mrs Cat is in bed tho'  ;D)
Del

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 04:19:07 pm »
I prefer to hand hold the pull cord as to not put undue strain on the bow being tillered with a static hold. Even a perfectly tillered bow shouldn't be held at draw for more than a second or two. This can add to stresses that cause set.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 04:32:39 pm »
I prefer to hand hold the pull cord as to not put undue strain on the bow being tillered with a static hold. Even a perfectly tillered bow shouldn't be held at draw for more than a second or two. This can add to stresses that cause set.
Yes, I have to be carefull with the winch...I lost a nice Sinew backed Ash bow that way, I'd just picked up the camera to take the pic at full draw...BANG! :-[, still it's how we learn, it's handy at half draw allows you to peer along the limbs, draw around them, rub them with garlic and make the necessary incantations to Bastet the Cat God.  (What, you don't do the inacantations?? :o)
Del