Author Topic: Bongossi...  (Read 5819 times)

Offline uwe

Bongossi...
« on: July 31, 2009, 01:55:50 pm »
Hi,
I have a board of this heavy wood for a long time. Has anybody experience with this heavy South America wood?  Its too heavy to swim and very hard. Is it useful for backing or belly? I think it would be a better bellywood. What about an Bamboo/ Bongossi combo?
Regards Uwe

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bongossi...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 06:05:56 pm »
Uwe, I have never heard of bongossi. Is there another common name or do you have the botanical name.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:09:00 pm »
Lophira Procera is it's Botanical Name....and it is'nt from South America....it's from South Africa....the Ivory Coast to be more specific....

They supply a deeply red-brown, very heavy, strongly shrinking, hard and weather-firm carcassing timber for land, water and construction of vehicles, stairway steps and tool grasps. The wood can be worked on with difficulty (to nail without pre-drilling is not possible) and it smells unpleasantly. The resistance against insects and mushrooms is very high.

Characteristics:

Specific gravity: 1,10 - 1,20
Tensile strength 150 - 215 N/mm
Pressure strength 87 - 108 N/mm
Bending strength 165 - 240 N/mm
Hardness after Brinell 55
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 06:12:50 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Shadow Walker

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:14:09 pm »
I have never heard of this wood either. Try an internet search on species of woods. Sometimes they will tell you what the preferred uses are for that species and then you can judge from there if it would be a good bow wood or not.
For example... i did a search on ironwood and it said it was commonly used for tool handles such as shovels or axes. So judging from that, it was easy enough to determine that it has great strenght and resilience and would probably make a good bow wood.
Good luck! and be sure to let us know what you find out!

Shadow Walker

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:17:47 pm »
O.K, I guess El Destructo has heard of it! Good Show, with that kind of detailed information who needs to do an internet search!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:27:40 pm »
and if you don't want to mess with Newton's....then switch it to Inch Pounds....... >:D

1 nm = 8.850 inch/lbs

Cause I hate the Metric System........ ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline uwe

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 10:57:11 am »
Just at this moment I found on German archery webside fletchers corner a discussion about it. It seems to be a "bellywood". I`ll watch this theme and will inform you about it
Thinks for posting!
Uwe

Offline robby

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 01:12:09 pm »
From El Destructo's description, it makes me wonder if it is related to a south american wood called degame (sp?), that was used in bows, I think mostly as a laminate, and footing arrows years ago. Haven't heard anything about that wood in a long time. Sorry to veer off, it just got me thinking.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 11:38:31 pm »
Robby, Degame' (aka Lemonwood) was also used for self bows back in the 30's and 40's. I have 2 commercial self bows and one home made self bow from that era that were made from Degame'. It grows primarily in Cuba(but also some in Central America) and because of the Cuban embargo, we have a hard time finding it in the US. Uwe, however can possibly find Degame' in Germany.
   As the name suggests, Lemonwood is yellow in color and not reddish brown like El Destructo said the Bongossi is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline robby

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 09:43:54 am »
Thanks Pat, its all coming back to me now, my mental archives aren't as accessible as they use to be, hah!! Geez, I even have a couple of old lemonwood bows, made back in the fifties, I think, can't remember what outfit that made them, beautiful bows, terrible hand shock.
Maybe the wood I'm thinking of was Greenheart, they used it in some underwater bridge work as well as bows and footings.
Robby

Offline uwe

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 05:19:54 pm »
By the way, I own an ELB made by Richard Head Lemonwood/ Hickorybacking. I`ve heard that the Lemonwood, which is available now often isn`t Lemonw. Sorry, don`t know what its now.
On german Fletchers corner they say, but didn`t try Meranti or Bamboo for backing.
There is  pic of a broken limb and lots to read...