Author Topic: 1st attempt, any suggestions  (Read 2083 times)

Offline chasing crow

1st attempt, any suggestions
« on: July 26, 2009, 08:13:02 am »
Fine gentlemen of the bowyer's world,
I just cut a small sugar maple ( 4" through). Took it down to the sap wood. It was really cool to actually see and feel some of what I've been reading about. So far I have used only a hand saw, two tomahawks and a wedge, a 6" blade  "Nesmuk" knife and a pocket knife. I could only get billets long enough for 51" bow. Crown is pretty high of course. Any suggestions on layout and possible draw weight to expect? I don't want to back it and I am not comfortable with the idea of splicing yet.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline aaron

Re: 1st attempt, any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 11:24:07 am »
51 is a short bow,and with the small diameter, it won't be very wide, so your draw length will have to be shorter and your draw weight lower than usual. If you make a bend-in-the-handle bow, you could probably draw it to 24 inches. The weight should probably be kept low- below 40, perhaps more like 30.the lower the weight, the less likely it will be to break, and unless you already shoot bows, you'll probably like a low-weight bow- you'll actually be able to concentrate on aiming, and not straining to reach full draw.  one option for layout is to make it 1 1/2 wide  for almost the whole length, with the last 4 inches or so narrowed to 1/2 inch tips. "back nocks" are what I use on all mine (no notches cut in for the string, but instead lash on a small chunk of wood on the back to hold the string). I would try to make the whole bow bend- no stiff handle or tips. pictures always help. small diameter staves are best when longer- I've made bows from staves less than 2 inches in dia, but they're 6 feet long. good luck!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 11:45:56 am »
I just looked at your earlier posts.... I think you said you were considering bows for hunting for yourself and your 12 year old daughter.In my humble opinion  the 51 inch may be OK for your daughter, but I'm not sure about yourself. the short draw length of this bow and it's light draw weight will decrease arrow speed making it hard to accurately place arrows at longer ranges. The 51 inch length is less accurate than a longer bow. If your daughter can already get to within 30 feet of a deer and hit a paper plate every time I think she should go for it. Also the two- fletch arrow is less accurate than a spiral 3 fletch. I'm not saying you can't hunt with a setup like that- you'll just have to be real close. For yourself I'd reccomend a longer stronger bow- like 66 or so pulling over 40 pounds. practice at close range until you can hit a paper plate every time and then find an unaware deer at that range.
I took my first deer last year with a 66 inch 50 lb BBB and stone-tipped arrow from about 20 feet. I had been hunting a few years and never took a shot at an animal because I was not close enough.
good luck with your hunting
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 02:07:18 pm »
Aaron,
Thanks for the reply. Nice going on getting your deer! Yes, ultimately I want to make a hunting bow for my daughter but I realize this tree probably isn't right for that purpose. She does shoot a 37# osage, but in Ohio weight must be minimum 40#. I just needed to down this tree and figured if I could make a bow or two it would be a start and good practice. I just want to make the most usable bow possible, of any kind. If it ends up being a kids bow, that is ok too. I obviously have some while the staves are drying to decide on the layout. Your input will be very helpful.
Chasing Crow 
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth