Author Topic: Beginners questions...  (Read 4235 times)

CodyCoyote

Beginners questions...
« on: July 30, 2009, 10:01:41 pm »
Hi, Im new to this forum and id like to start making bows. I tried making my first two this week. I cut an ash tree riped it down and made two bows. Using a draw knife the first I shaved too much off and it wasnt right the second I did better but its not very strong( it shoots 50 yards lobbing it in), I have it in the closet to dry now if it dosent crack. Id like to know how to get started. Can i go to lowes or a wood store and get dry hickory boards? Im in virginia so no osage growing around here. I want to start making some nice ones. Mainly for hunting not for hanging on the wall. I like to look of the shorter bows with the reflex deflex style but im clueless as to how to make one. I dont know any of the basics more less the fine detail i need all the help I can get, I want to back mine with sinew to make it stronger ( I think thats the purpose ???) Can I use artificial sinew? Id appreciate the help or tips.

Thanks,

Cody

Offline tombo

Re: Beginners questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 10:19:21 pm »
Cody, being relatively new to primitive bow making myself I suggest you take a deep breath and slow down. You need to find some local wood (trees) that are decent for bows and mess a few up. There's nothing that can teach you better than working down a stave , slowly, and looking at the arc when you bend it. First, when it's still thick and heavy (floor tiller) then shave off more wood slowly and keep looking at the curvature, shaving off wood on the belly where it's not bending much. At some point you can place a string on it and keep testing that bend in the limbs. It should be even all along the length of the limbs.
I don't have Osage either but found that my best local trees are Hackberry, Elm and Huisache as well as Southern Live Oak. I'm sure there are other great bow woods in your neck of the woods. Keep reading posts on this site and listen to the advice you get! Good luck and most of all...Have FUN!
Tom

Offline JustAim

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:43:53 pm »
Cody, if you need to build a bow rightnow and cant wait for the stave to dry, l suggest you go to the your local lumber store and buy a board, hickory or red oak are the most common and they'll do just fine for a bow. Before you continue any farther you need to go to a few sites that will help you out.

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/archer.html

http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/oak.htm

have fun

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:53:25 pm »
this is the best site ever for a beginner. http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
lets just shoot it

radius

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 12:14:33 am »
read all 200  pages of this section

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 02:12:15 am »
wow. radius we aint trying to kill the poor guy.
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 02:21:01 am »
No...we're trying to keep Him from killing Himself with these Wet Sticks He's trying to make a Bow from......... :o

Go to Home Depot or Lowes....or Menard's...whereever they sell Hardwood Boards....and get you one....but first read George's Page....and learn what to look for in a Board for a Bow....and then..the no.1 things....either go slow....read....and learn....or go the Fast Route....and just take that board and cut into pieces about 16 inches long..and toss it in the Fire Place....cause that is where it will be heading

Also.... leave the Sinew alone for a while till you learn to make a Bow that will stay together ....to help make sure that one does...put on a  Silk....Linen...or Rawhide Backing for added security.....good luck and just remember ....there are no stupid questions...just stupid replies........ :P >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 07:55:49 am »
Go with what the displaced Yooper with a Texas drawl said!  (El Destructo) ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

coyote pup

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 09:00:00 am »
Wouldn't hurt ya to go out and find some Virginia Hickory or Black Locust to lay away to season for a year or so while ya mess around with boards or other already seasoned material. That way when you get a couple under your belt, you'll have some better wood already seasoned and ready to get out to make some serious bows from.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 09:19:53 am »
Go with what the displaced Yooper with a Texas drawl said!  (El Destructo) ;D

Greg....now that hurt.......... :'(

And what Pup said....get some wood ready...cause once you finish a Board Bow or two...you are going to need some Seasoned Stave wood to sink your Teeth into........ ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 09:49:11 am »
Hi, Im new to this forum and id like to start making bows. I tried making my first two this week. I cut an ash tree riped it down and made two bows. Using a draw knife the first I shaved too much off and it wasnt right the second I did better but its not very strong( it shoots 50 yards lobbing it in), I have it in the closet to dry now if it dosent crack. Id like to know how to get started. Can i go to lowes or a wood store and get dry hickory boards? Im in virginia so no osage growing around here. I want to start making some nice ones. Mainly for hunting not for hanging on the wall. I like to look of the shorter bows with the reflex deflex style but im clueless as to how to make one. I dont know any of the basics more less the fine detail i need all the help I can get, I want to back mine with sinew to make it stronger ( I think thats the purpose ???) Can I use artificial sinew? Id appreciate the help or tips.

Thanks,

Cody
Cody I have some nice hickory staves that I would be happy to share they are well seasoned and ready to work . Send me a P.M. if you are interested and we'll work out the details. "Cracker"
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 09:52:00 am »
Now there is a Deal ....you just can't beat...........atta boy Cracker.........Where I live...all I have is advise to give away.....if there was Bow wood here....I would give it away too....... ::)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline John K

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 10:35:40 am »
Take Cracker up on his deal, he's a great guy to deal with !

Have fun, it's a great ride !!
The only way to fail is to never start !