Author Topic: walnut bow staves  (Read 1957 times)

Offline luke the drifter

walnut bow staves
« on: July 26, 2009, 10:18:13 am »
i recently cut down a nice looking and straight walnut tree about 6-8 inches in diamter.  i hand split it and found the heartwood not exactly straight, sort of a very long stretched out s-shape.  the heartwood covers about 5 inches across of the split wood and is uniform in width all the way down the log.  i hope this is making some sense.  my question is this--do i shave all the whitewood down to the heartwood before i start working the wood into a bow or can i use both the whitewood and the heartwood seperately or save some of the whitewood for backing of the heartwood?  will the straightness issue be a significant factor in working the bow?  any advice about working around the straightness issue?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: walnut bow staves
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 10:50:48 am »
there is no need in taking the Sapwood off of Walnut....in fact unless I have a large thick stave of Walnut that I can split into more than one stave....I don't mess with that....Pictures would be very helpful in understanding what the problems are with the Wood
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome