Author Topic: cane ID (got pics)  (Read 4040 times)

Offline recurve shooter

cane ID (got pics)
« on: July 23, 2009, 02:47:05 pm »
ok, this is the cane i was talking about. terrible pics from cell phone, but best i got for now. can yall please tell me what it is?

lets just shoot it

coyote pup

Re: cane ID (got pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:41:38 pm »
Hill cane?  One of the other guys will be able to tell you for sure after first glance.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 04:02:04 pm »
Looks just like all the river cane I've cut. Doesn't grow around me so I've hit some patches along the interstates - that's the spittin image ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 04:58:54 pm »
Looks like native switch cane.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 08:06:31 pm »
wow. three different answers.  :D

im sure its river or switch cane, just not sure which. i guess it dont matter if it will make an arrow. ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 08:16:33 pm »
It's not hill cane, because hill cane doesn't grow down there. River cane and switch cane are very similar, hard to say for sure from the pics. The sheaths and the "topknots" look like switch cane, though. Either one makes great arrows if you're picky cutting it. Get the roundest, most uniform stalks you can. Cut them about 3/8" at the bottom and leave them 3-4' long. If you get them from the middle of the patch, they have less branches and are rounder. Avoid the first-year shoots with fresh sheaths and thin walls.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 08:53:23 pm »
cool. thanks alot guys.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 10:13:57 pm »
 It look's like switch cane to me. When I was on a lease in Ga. it was everywhere in the low creek bottoms with onions. I find it occasionally in Ocala National forest in Florida but it is never big enough for arrows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 10:15:57 pm »
I wish someone could tell me where there was any Cane within Driving Distance to me ....We have nothing here but thin walled Phragmite....and I am not as patent as Patrick to mess with it!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Sleep Junkie

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 10:20:03 pm »
There really isn't a whole lot of difference between Hill, Switch and River cane other than height, slight variations in density and growing locations.  At least that is what I read and supposedly they all make good arrows.  Their scientific names are Hill Cane - Arundinaria appalachiana, River or Giant Cane - Arundinaria gigantea, and Switch Cane - Arundinaria tecta.  So as you can see, they are all different forms of Arundinaria.  I looked up up on the USDA website.  It tells you a lot of information like growing locations and stuff.  Here is the link if you have not already visited their website.  http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch  I use it for finding out what native material is growing in my area.  

You are pretty lucky that you have some of that stuff growing wild in your area.  I would love it if that stuff grew naturally here in Pennsylvania.  So far, I am making due with Multiflora Rose and Amur Honeysuckle!  I have some cut and I am waiting impatiently for it to dry!    

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 01:00:05 am »
thank yall. im going pig sticking this weekend, but hopefully next week i'll go see if i can round up a good couple bundles of it.
lets just shoot it