Author Topic: my first stave bow  (Read 2626 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
my first stave bow
« on: July 08, 2009, 04:58:42 am »
well ive made about 13 board bows, all but 2 hickoy and decided to try something new. this limb came to me from a groundskeeper at my apartment complex both limb and bark-less. he thinks its thornless honey locust. it has taken about 1/2" of set and no string follow, ironically i just noticed the stiff upper limb, go figure its the one without the knots, so whatever wood it is, it works nice, its soft enough (compared to hickory) to tiller with a scraper easily, and its light. the grounds keepers are going to give me the 8'x12" trunk off the only straight honey locust on the grounds because they are removing it sometime soon. enough rambling, bow is 68" k.t.k. brace at 5" 22#@29". critiques and comments welcome. (and now off to fix the top limb tiller and pike the bottom limb an inch or two)

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: my first stave bow
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:01:20 am »
Nice job.Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 07:17:28 am »
Good job, looks like it was a fairly challenging piece of wood, too. The only critiques I can offer are that the top limb is a little stiff a midlimb (But you already spotted that,) and that you could probably shorten the handle section up considerably and/or make a more gradual transition with the fades.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 08:09:10 am »
I agree with what HillBilly said, the handle length being on the long side takes away from being able to have more working limb. More working limb reduces the stress on the limbs and thus can reduce string follow. The bow looks very nice though!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:31:15 am »
Congratulations! Very nice. I agree with Hillbilly. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline smokeu

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:40:49 am »
Good Job! I agree with the others but i wouldnt do too much to it since its your first real stick bow. Looks nice.

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 04:39:56 pm »
thank you all. I didnt even notice how long the handle was until you pointed it out, think im going to work on that with the tiller. it was a little challenging thats how i ended up undershooting my target weight by 15#, overall im very happy with it.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 07:28:36 pm »
congrads and nice job.
it is a pretty piece of wood.
far as comments... what hillbilly said.

now go shoot her and enjoy.
later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere