Author Topic: New Hickory Shorty  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Kegan

New Hickory Shorty
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:18:44 pm »
I started this bow a while ago, but I kept changing my mind so many times that I missed my target weight and wound up piking it down to 63". This is one of the first few bows that I've actually gotten a proper temper on the limbs (as you can see, it doesn't follow the string a great deal at all). It's 1 3/4" wide with just under 1/2" nocks, settled in at 65# at 27".

I tried some new stuff with this bow. Along with the proper temper, I aslo tried selfnocks on a bow with a FF string for the first time. Fortunately the padding and a doubling around the end have prevented any signs of damage (and saved me lots of heartbreak- I had to cut the original Osage overlays I did and nearly cried). I also laminated on a block of white oak after I messed up the original handle, and did a very nice dished grip; this is my favorite handle to date. The finish is much nicer than I usually do and this bow is one of my fastest. I tried a small leather shelf made from scraps on the side and found that it helps me shoot more accurately and I like it alot.

At this length I can't shoot worth a darn past 25 yards, but it really slings an arrow. I figured I'd try to use this bow to pay for my hunting license and tags this year though, so I hope I can find it a good home.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline John K

Re: New Hickory Shorty
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:27:52 pm »
Looks nice Kegan ! I really like the little tips. I bet she's a screamer !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Online PeteC

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 03:06:09 pm »
Looks great Kegan,It has a fast look to it.Just curious,when you got your "proper temper" ,did it open up parallel cracks on the belly? I never have it happen on HHB or elm,but every time on hickory.I always have enough wood to tiller off the cracks,but I wonder why it happens on the hick and not the others,when they are all good and dry. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Illuminati

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:15:03 pm »
63" is a shortbow?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 03:24:42 pm »
Thanks John.

Pete, I didn't have any cracks on this one, but I got a crack jsut like the one you're talking about on a white oak I was working ???.

Illuminati, for me anything under 66" can be considered a "shortbow" and therefore an excuse why I can't hit the broadside of a barn.

coyote pup

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 03:35:24 pm »
Excellent bow. I love that tiller.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 09:31:36 am »
Good looking bow Kegan,tiller looks nice as dose the finish work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 09:48:41 am »
Probably your best work to Date Keegan. Keep up the good work!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline greenstick

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 10:14:17 am »
Nice bow Keegan. What do you mean by temper on the limbs?
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.-Thomas Edison  ( Indiana )

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:49:49 am »
I'll bet its a deer smacker :D. Bookmarked, too, for June Fun
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 12:40:24 pm »
Thanks everyone ;D! I've definately been trying to put more attention into my bows, I'm glad it's showing.

Greenstick- I take a heat gun and heat treat the limbs on the belly, helping compression strength and resilliency. It really helps the whitewood bows I do all the time.