Author Topic: A PRIMITIVE MIND  (Read 5816 times)

Offline Blacktail

A PRIMITIVE MIND
« on: June 03, 2009, 06:51:44 pm »
latey i have been wanting to make things truely primitive..BUT,how does one get into the right frame of mind to do it  ???....for instence...if use abo tools to chip rock and i get into a jam i am allways reaching for a modern tool...if i want to make a bow i all ways go for the band saw,rasp,draw knife....i really think that i need to start with my way of thinking..so,how does one change there way of thinking in a modern world...i dont know maybe i am just think way too out loud.thanks john

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: A PRIMITIVE MIND
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:08:11 pm »
Get rid of all the modern stuff so the temptation is not there. It is hard to do. I resort back to modern stuff myself.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:30:18 pm »
I agree with nugget, get rid of the modern tools, or at least pack them away. Also make sure you have a place that "feels primitive" at least to you. Doesn't have to be big, just an area for you to connect your self with the earth, where you can mentally slow down time. You will become more patient.

Trey

Offline JustAim

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:13:25 pm »
Head for the woods and take nothing with you but the clothes your wearing. That will get ya thinking right ;D 

Aosda

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 10:28:15 pm »
Head for the woods and take nothing with you but the clothes your wearing. That will get ya thinking right ;D 

I agree.  Head for the woods for the weekend and try to feed yourself (bringing safety food of course).  Set some snares, gather wood, and then try to build a fire.  Necessity will inspire you.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:49:05 pm »
The right frame of mind for primitive work is "Patience is a virtue".  Be patient and learn to enjoy using the primitive tools.  The brain adapts to things it "likes".  If you begin to enjoy the primitive tools, your mind will not want to use anything else.

The best place to get "primitive" is anywhere you are allowed to build an open fire.  The root of primitive technology is fire....all things grow from there.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 05:13:59 pm »
I could not agree with Jackcrafty more.

The first thing you have to do is slow down.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:50:26 pm »
hey guys thanks for the info...there is alot of differant ideas here..and i sure do want to try them out..thanks john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:47:25 pm »
   I have found it very difficult to be primitive. Too much technology under the bridge. I know if I "HAD TO", I could but making myself go totally primitive is quite difficult.  Getting your mind in to a primitive state takes time out and away without modern conveniences and like Patrick said, FIRE! Lots of thoughts and applications have happened around a fire pit over the eons.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:06:51 am »
I take off all my clothes, and run thru the nearest parking lot with a spear in one hand and a roadkilled squirrel in the other.  Then I squat right next to a car as the old couple is about to load their groceries and bite into the squirrel just as they see me.  After I get bailed outta jail, then I wonder why I did all that in the first place.  That's when I finally realize what a fool I was, and I never even give into the temptation again! 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 10:18:00 am »
Gee thanks for that visual, Billy.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline smokeu

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 11:36:27 am »
I know what yall mean im planing a camp trip where I will take nothing but maybe a bow and maybe a fire kit.
Longview, TEXAS

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 06:30:05 am »
like pat said, it starts at the fire pit.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline agd68

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 12:02:15 pm »
One thing to bear in mind though is that mankind has never been "primitive". We have always used the highest technology available to us at the time.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh