Author Topic: 2x4 bow blew up! :(  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Colt45

• =]
2x4 bow blew up! :(
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:44:23 pm »
If you see a good piece you really should try this! Has anyone else tried making a bow out of a 2x4 before? Well anyways I was working on my ERC bow and just kinda scanning through the lumber pile at our house when I seen a perfect 2x4 for making a bow! Well I've heard about this but never seen it done before so I thought I'd give it a shot. At first I thought it was pine then I realized it might be fir. So I roughed it out, it was 55 NTN 3" wide at the fades  :D and a half inch wide at the tips. Then I floor tillered the thing and it was getting REALLY thin! Finally I got the the string tiller and it started out okay but once I started getting to a longer draw I noticed it had a hinge so I removed wood before it to balance it out and then SNAP!! I was almost happy it broke I had spent a good hour trying to get rid of that stupid hinge. And I'm not sure if the bend was natural or if it was from me because it was bending like that from the start. Probably me though!!! Gotta slow down haha  ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:18:21 pm by Colt45 »
The bow's in there, you just have to find it, and that is Boetry.

Offline boo

Re: 2x4 bow blew up! :(
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 12:50:37 pm »
Its a hinge. But bend works to.
Boo

Offline Colt45

• =]
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 01:04:59 pm »
yeah hinge :D thats what I was thinking of, thanks

Offline Colt45

• =]
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 01:16:46 pm »
by the way it was a self bow, worked down to a growth ring no backing.