Author Topic: any knapping rocks to be found in san francisco region?  (Read 3183 times)

Offline ozy clint

any knapping rocks to be found in san francisco region?
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:19:54 pm »
i'm staying with my brother in law in san fran before flying out back to oz. just wondering if there is any rock around this region that i could collect and take home with me?

we're going to yosemite on the weekend, is there anyway rock out along they way?

i'm a newbie chasing some rock to have a go with. back home in oz we have very very little knappable rock.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: any knapping rocks to be found in san francisco region?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:06:38 pm »
I don't have a clue ozy but have fun and good luck :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:58:12 pm »
too bad your so far south. central oregon is full of knappable rock. from what i have heard, most of oregon is.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:50:16 pm »
 Didn't they pound rocks at Alcatraz?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:23:59 pm »
I was gonna say maybe some window glass from Alcatraz. Could make some of those judo's like Hillbilly made ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Newbow

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 01:42:28 am »
I just posted this on your "newbie" thread, but I'll put it here as well.  Go here: http://www.sonic.net/~dbieling/obsmap.html
and you'll get a California map showing major obsidian sources.  Several are not far from Frisco.  Good Luck.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 10:54:14 pm »
don't you have mookinate down there...i have some in the pot for cooking tommorrow....if you can get ahold of jim winn or tom mills they might know...john