Author Topic: preparing sinew  (Read 4265 times)

Offline ozy clint

preparing sinew
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:58:04 pm »
i'm going to be hafting some stone and trade points for the first time and i'm wondering how to prepare sinew for use as hafting material? i'm going to try kangaroo achilles and tail sinew. what do you do to end up with hafting material?

any help or links to how to's would be great.

thanks.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: preparing sinew
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:27:51 pm »
I have used plenty of Kangaroo Tendon...it works really well...breaks down better than Deer Tendon does....I used a Rawhide Mallet and pounded it into submission on the Anvil end of My Vise...just be careful not to hit it too hard and break it all into pieces...once pounded till it's soft....start to pull it apart like Dental Floss....this is fine enough for Hafting Arrows and wrapping Feathers and Bow Tips too
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 11:34:42 pm »
I have never prepared roo sinew but it is probably similar to deer. Once you remove the tendon from the roo remove the casing around the tendon bundle and separate the tendons to the appropriate size. You can do this either wet or dry I believe. If you have dried sinew already, pound the sinew with a flat hammer or mallet on a hard surface to break up the tendon bundle then separate.  I chew dried deer sinew to moisten and soften it and to prepare it for application. The sinew mixed with your saliva makes it's own glue. When pliable make the wrap tight around the area and when you come to the end of the sinew lick your fingers and go around the wrap a few rotations. This will tighten up the wrap. Once it dries, the sinew will shrink and tighten even more. When dry, seal with water proof glue or other sealer. I like pitch varnish made by dissolving pine pitch in alcohol, straining it and store it in an air tight container.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 08:34:21 am »
Pat, you chewin sinew reminds of the time that "Rusty Crane" (Trashwood) did that thing with some red hots in his mouth. The sinew came out "Pink" Funny as heck. ;D

I think any sinew will work for arrows. Personnaly I save all my backstrap sinew for arrows and use it for nothing else.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 12:15:18 pm »
Tim, Copenhagen works even better than redhots....;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 12:27:35 pm »
If you use your backstrap sinews for arrows whats left for strings? I think the leg sinews are plenty long for arrow hafting
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did