Author Topic: arrow size to bow size  (Read 1948 times)

Offline luke the drifter

arrow size to bow size
« on: June 07, 2009, 01:49:05 pm »
hey y'all.   got a question.  i am building a short hunting bow around 53".  my intention for this bow is for it to be a snap release bow.  most of the research i have found is these bows need only to be drawn 20 inches.  is that 20 inches from the back of the bow or from the brace height?  should make my arrows to accomodate this short draw distance?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: arrow size to bow size
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 01:53:56 pm »
To be safe I would have some one mark an arrow while you are at the desired draw lenght. Have them mark it were the arrow is at the back of the bow about a half inch in front of your knuckles. That way a broadhead will not hit your hand.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 02:41:28 pm »
I amde a 50" bow that draw about 20". I used my normal arrows at fist, because the bow stacked so badly that I couldn't and thefore didn't draw it an 1/8" further.

nickf

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 06:54:13 pm »
once again.... 40#+ @ 32". 55" ntn

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 08:27:12 pm »
I hope that does not explode. 

Arrows.  I recently read about a short bow, 4'?, that shot 8' arrrows.  I'm sure it was for fishing.  Even for short range jungle arrows I wouldn't want to be that long unless it is going down.  But that might take a big fish.  If an arrow is longer than the draw, the draw length can be marked to feel with a serving to brush your finger.  As far as I can surmise, its all about the skill developed with a particular combo of bow and arrow to achieve the desired result, which might be achieved with a fast or slow, slight or massive arrow with diverse points.  As long as you don't break the bow, or put the point into the belly, or the hand, etc., there are lot and lots of options assuming you are not directed by necessity. 
Steve in LV, NV