Author Topic: Hide glew--20 questions  (Read 3077 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Hide glew--20 questions
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:47:54 pm »
I've read many of the posts about hide glue.  It seems deer hide is better than cowhide.  You slow cook pieces in a bit of water until it starts to gell, remove pieces cook until it is gelled.  Simple but time intensive.  Now for the questions.

I have some old deer hides some have too many holes to make much from it by tanning them.  Would they be suitable for making hide glew?  Should I still soak them in hardwood ash to remove the hair?  How should I store it for use later?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Hide glew--20 questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:03:02 am »
I would use the hides the way they are. No point in removing the hair.
Dry or freeze the glue for storage. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:19:01 am »
Thanks Justin.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:29:26 am »
If the hair is already wanting to come out, you might want to remove it.  It will make it a little easier to keep hair out of the glue. Straining it should solve the problem, but it really depends on how picky you are.  I don't mind a few hairs in it myself so I don't worry about it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 12:06:27 pm »
I think they will be fine for glue.  The older they are the weaker the glue will be, of course.  Personally, I think the hair should be removed.  I soak my hides for a couple days in a hydrated lime solution (1lb for every 5 gal water).  I like hydrated lime because it won't kill the soil where you dump it.  The hair can be thrown into a compost pile.

The glue can be stored dry for a very long time (on the shelf).  If mixed with water, it can be stored in the frig.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Aosda

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:08:39 am »
Can you use squirrel hide?  And how much water?