Author Topic: sinew coming loose  (Read 2829 times)

Offline deersled

sinew coming loose
« on: May 25, 2009, 12:32:11 pm »
how do you prevent the sinew that is wrapped at the base of your nock from shredding? After I shoot for a while the sinew starts to come loose. I guess it is from your fingers rubbing when you shoot.

Offline sonny

Re: sinew coming loose
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 12:47:56 pm »
glue it down sufficiently in the first place, then apply some beeswax over it after the glue has dried.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:06:48 pm »
When I seal sinew wrapping with super glue or TBIII. On primitive arrows I use pine pitch varnish. If necessary, all of these can be re-applied if the sinew(or thread) wrap begins to ravel.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline deersled

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 05:00:45 pm »
gotcha! thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 07:11:44 pm »
I chew the sinew before I apply it to soften it. Saliva and the sinew makes it's own glue. Once down, it stays put unless I abuse it. That's why I usually seal it with super glue, TBIII or pitch varnish to prevent it from unraveling with abuse and to protect against moisture.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 11:16:25 pm »
I wet the sinew, use it for the wrapping, coat with hide glue and after it dries I seal with pine pitch. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 01:03:16 am »
On your last wrap of sinew just tuck the sinew under itself.  Pull it tight, cut off the excess, and let it dry.  If done right it will almost never come loose.  And I do like Pat does....I chew it well to make sure it's fully hydrated.  Also, I gently score the area where the sinew wraps will be with a stone knife....that helps give the sinew something to grip when it dries.  I've seen that same scoring under sinew wraps of real indian arrows in the Smithsonian when I examined their collection 2 years ago.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 12:59:50 pm »
Steal some finger nail polish from the wife, works great. And like others said pitch, s.g., poly, or any othe finish works good also! Good Shootin, Steve

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 04:39:56 pm »
  I soak my sinew in a bowl of warm water with a squirt of TB3 in it. I apply it and then put a film of glue over it when it dries. I quit chewing sinew when CWD was found in deer, a good way to transfer some DNA. :-\
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?