Author Topic: near kill but no harvest, big medicine  (Read 4987 times)

Offline huntertrapper

near kill but no harvest, big medicine
« on: April 18, 2009, 02:32:33 pm »
Im still up north at the town library but me and my dad got back from the woods today arounbd 11:30. It was a cold night to begin with, 26 degrees, and my feet were numb for close to three hours after the sun was up. We heard two jakes gobble up on the ridge we slept by as we woke up, so across the cold mountain stream we went and up the ridge we went to a small bench on the hill side. My dad set out the decoys and i got beside a big cherry tree. to make a long 1 hour turkey experience short...8 young jakes ALL together came down and would not get in front of me and go to the decoys...they were ten feet from me as they were behind me my dad said, blah blah they waddled away as i couldnt make a move and then my dad called them back in AGAIN. still no shot till one got about ten yards to my side and i was going to try for a shot but he caught view and stopped, i continued no further and let em go so i didnt spook the whole flock... big day for us a great experience in the turkey woods especially for being pennsylvania.  also my dad had a 250 pound black bear barrel downa ridge only to stop 40 yards from him.  ;D 95 % of the timewe spend in the woods a bear is seen
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Little John

Re: near kill but no harvest, big medicine
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 04:52:47 pm »
Cool story Brother, sounds like you were within a fraction of harvesting a fine prize. Hunts like these are what memories are made of and the camping adds tons of medicine. Congratulations on a good hunt and hope you get one next time. Far out about the bear also.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:09:44 pm »
yours and your dad's medicine is strong brother, a harvest will come soon enough... great story.. i think i need to fly down there this fall and stalk one of those big bears... i am running out of claws ;) Hawk..a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:59:27 pm »
thank you hawk my dads name should be animal whisperer he is very good at calling i think, and you are more than welcome to come this winter and stalk em we're goin up north for the 2 day archery and 3 day rifle. wed be glad to get you into some of our "high bear country" and spend a few nights back in like you do, more than  not when we spend nights out in the woods we see bears, and usually closer than wanted
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:01:11 pm »
Cool story ht. You'll get one soon, I'm sure :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:15:13 pm »
What a rush!!!!!Those 8 jakes were almost within spitting distance of me twice.ADRENALIN RUSH!!They just wouldn,t walk in front of HT.Sometimes it,s more exciting to call em in and just watch.All 8 jakes were anywhere from 5-20yds from me both times they came in.AWESOME.Staying back on the mountain Friday was incredible.Crisp -cold and clear-magnificent stars and partial moon.Seeing another black bear close was a rush.I,m thinking as often as I,ve seen bears this year they like seeing me as much as I like seeing them.ha!ha!Thanks for the comments.Another memorable hunt with my son.Lloyd

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 11:22:20 pm »
Lloyd, we may have to change your name to predator bait.. if you keep tempting fate with those bears.. I am heading into the back country tomorrow for a few days.. near where Wolf Watcher lives... and he tells me there were three griz one black bear and four wolves all in the same location... guess i will blend in with all my fellow predators.. 8) ;D just hope the horses and my dog fare as well... :( Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 09:23:13 pm »
Great story and day spent with your dad.Keep it up,and y'all will always be close. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 11:58:30 pm »
Thanks man
Modern Day Tramp