Author Topic: Help with fletching cane, Please!  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Bullitt

Help with fletching cane, Please!
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:58:49 am »
Just finished an arrow and excited to shoot, Cane, from Oklahoma, Duco cement. Feathers didn't stick,
Shoot! Did't clean shaft, or prep. Should I? What glue do you use? Thanks for all help! Good Shootin, Steve

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Help with fletching cane, Please!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:27:17 pm »
Hit the fletching area with some fine sandpaper, and it'll stick. Cane has a slick, waxy coating on it that you have to rough up. I've used everything from contact cement to superglue to hide glue and fletch tape.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 02:09:18 pm »
Or if they're matched to your bow tyou can just use the Seminole Fletch like Bob does. Split cane, insert whole section of feather, wrap up ends with sinew. Presto :)!

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 10:22:32 pm »
Thanks Hillbilly and Kegan! I scraped lightly with a knife and 220 sandpaper. Woo Wa Woo, we have a shooter! It's been about 10 years since I shot a cane arrow, what have I been missing? Thanks to all here, I will be hunting with Oklahoma cane this year, and hopefully, my brother will be sending some from Alabama, Good shootin, and thanks,Steve

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:41:44 am »
i always wrap mine with silk for extra insurance.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy