Author Topic: cane?  (Read 3439 times)

Offline deersled

cane?
« on: May 23, 2009, 12:35:03 pm »
can anyone explain how to mount field points or glue on broadheads to rivercane. The cane I have is bigger than the tips (11/32, 23/64). do you taper by hand or what?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: cane?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 01:02:34 pm »
Normally you don't pick Cane that is over 3/8" in diameter at the Base....so that you can taper it for 11/32" Tips or 5/16" ....then taper it with a Taper Tool
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline deersled

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 01:28:57 pm »
would you use a belt sander or knife until you can fit it in your taper tool?

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 02:02:10 pm »
It's probably just me , but I think if you have to use commercial points on canes ,the thread in type is easier .After matching the canes diameter to the points base , I run the point down in the cane a few times to tap it .Then I put some thick grease on the tang (Vaseline )  ,just a little thin coat .(I heat the tang with a lighter then dip it in the jar )

Next I push some epoxy down in the cane with a toothpick .Let the glue start to firm up just a bit ,and thread the greased point in .I keep a eye on the extra epoxy ,When the extra glue just becomes set ,I unscrew the point . After the glue fully sets you have an arrow that will take any screw in point .

Or you can even use those those prethreaded inserts for carbon arrows.

Ralph

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 03:20:28 pm »
 That's a good idea, Ralph. I've started to experiment with the carbon, aluminum inserts. I'm also trieing the plastic nocks for carbons also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 12:02:28 am »
Been doing that since I messed with Cane...the ones for your old CXL's and other Skinny Carbons work great
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 07:09:18 pm »
If your cane is more than 3/8" or so, it probably spines about a hundred pounds or has a really sharp taper, one. If it's a tad too big for a 23/64 point, just bring the last inch or two down to a small enough diameter to fit in the taper tool, no biggie. You can glue a little piece of dowel or bamboo skewer in the end if the walls are thin/hole is too big to get a good taper. The insert points like Little John makes from nails work great, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 05:14:18 pm »
just foreshaft your cane and mount your stuff to the foreshaft..it will add weight to the front and they will fly better too...gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 07:05:20 pm »
I just taper with a belt sander and glue on the point just like any other arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC