Author Topic: 4" natural reflex. Should I deflex it first?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Hojo

4" natural reflex. Should I deflex it first?
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:54:09 pm »
Hello all.  I've been building bows for a little over a year now and have benefited much from reading your posts.  I'm in need of some specific help now:

I have an osage stave that has 4" of natural reflex and I'm wondering if I should deflex it a little in the handle or go for it as it is.  Would like to hear your opinions on the matter.  The stave is 63" tip to tip and about 1 5/8" wide.  It has a couple of knots in the handle area and that is adding to my uncertainty about whether to deflex it or not.

Pics of the stave and the handle area follow.  I also added a pic of my bow rack with some of my bows as well as a pic of my three boys with their bows.  

This is my first time posting pics, so I will apologize in advance for any snafus.

Thanks, Howard

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: 4" natural reflex. Should I deflex it first?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:40:18 pm »
The rings look good at the handle.. I would go for it just the way it is.. ;).. If you dont want to I will trade you one that has already got the deflex.. >:D

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:42:05 pm »
Nothing wrong with deflexing it a bit, but I'd leave it like it is and tiller it. Of course, I like my finished bows to hold at least a couple inches of reflex.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:40:51 pm »
If it were me I'd go for it the way it is....I'm like Shannon though, I don't like bows that follow the string.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:59:27 pm »
I'm with the pro's... go for it as is. Looks like you've been busy the past year. Lots of nice bows on that rack.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Hojo

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:31:30 pm »
Looks as though we have a consensus.  Thanks for the input, guys.  I will give it a go as is.

knightd--I'd take you up on your offer, but, as a rookie, I already possess a couple of nicely deflexed bows!

Howard