Author Topic: Rock ID Help  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Talonzz

Re: Rock ID Help
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 03:30:38 pm »
OK...  So bein' that I'm a noobie at this...   Is it good for knappin'? or do I just set it in the yard for the birds to poop on? ::)

Could any of you post some pics of good knappin rocks in the raw so I know what to look for out in my horse pastures?
My place is just littered with all different kinds of large rocks...  and yes...  I'd be more than happy to share any good stuff I find.
Most of it is so big I'm gonna need to rent a skid loader.  I just found a couple of rocks pokin' out of the ground the other day that are about as big as my chest and I'm almost positive it's Rose Quartz.
Nobody Ever got Anywhere by Being Content...
Central Minnesota

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 07:49:06 am »
Like I said before smack a corner off and take a good close up picture of the fracture.
If its quartzite then yes it may be knappable but only with a great deal of effort.
Also quartzite isn't heat treatable short of a volcano :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 09:37:39 am »
Talonzz:  when i went to that knapp in that they had in milaca back in feb.
             i asked the guy that was in charge(he was from milaca area)if mn had decent knappible rock,he said the rock here in mn
             was junk for knapping.he also said that the natives in this area would use it for quick crude hand tools,and that they would just leave
             them lay after use because the quality of the rock wasnt worth transporting the weight of the rock.they would rather discard and make
             a new one at the next location,dont know how much truth there is to that though.but i gave been looking in rivers and lake shores and
             thus far havent found any that wasnt grainy. ah yes minnesota and its grainy granitie like rock ;D
             if you do find some and need some help collecting ket me know,i will work for cheap.just let me keep some for my own use and i am happy ;D ;)

i did aquire a small piece of glassy looking rock from a guyt i work with,he said its all over his field.tried to push a flake off and damned near busted my wrist
             it was so hard,but it did flake.gonna ask him for a few more larger pieces and try heating them and see what happens
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Talonzz

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 12:03:26 pm »
OK guys...   Thanks for the help and the information.

Tim: If I stumble onto something good out in this area I'll be sure to give you a call.
Central Minnesota

Offline Talonzz

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 12:34:53 pm »
OK guys...  I gave this thing a couple of good wacks with the hammer and it finally broke...  It broke straight. Straight and flat along the ribbons and perpendicular to them... I pretty much broke off a square. I'll post a pic as soon as the wife remembers to bring the digital camera home from work... grrrrrr
Central Minnesota