Author Topic: can someone post pics for me?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline recurve shooter

can someone post pics for me?
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:08:52 pm »
i found something that looks like river cane but isnt. its a little thinner and lighter and just looks different. reed maby? it has nodes like cane but im pretty sure that that aint what it is. i aint got any pics of it yet, anyone got any idea what this stuff could b?
lets just shoot it

Offline TRACY

Re: can someone post pics for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 02:07:32 pm »
Sounds like phragmites. Look under build alongs by jackcrafty and you'll see a pic there.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,12620.0.html

Tracy
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 02:13:51 pm by TRACY F »
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:34:19 am »
recurve,

Where did you find that cane?  There is a type of reed called Giant Reed that is imported from europe and now grows throughout north America, usually in isolated patched.  It's usually planted as an ornamental.  I've used it for arrows and it is excellent, although it is thin walled and a bit lightweight.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 03:11:51 pm »
i found it along a road next to lake maurapas or ponchatrain, not sure which, and there is ALOT of the stuff. and like u said, its thin walled and light, but i strieghtened a piece and glued a .44 mag blunt on it and cut a self nock and shot it from a roughly 50 lb bow and it actually shot somewhat strieght and really fast, so we shall see! ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:17:47 pm »
yup. its Phragmites. now who wants to trade me something for a bunch of it?  ::)
lets just shoot it