Author Topic: ELB wood choice  (Read 2322 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

ELB wood choice
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:40:36 pm »
I'm looking to make an ELB - weight about 50# - draw length around 31" - Obviously Ipe seems to be the first choice, backed by bamboo. I'm assuming if I make the Ipe belly thin enough it won't end up drawing a bazillion pounds. Does anyone back these with hickory or is it always bamboo? Is there a non-yew or osage wood to use that could make a "D" cross section ELB that wouldn't need a backing, in the weight I want?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: ELB wood choice
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 02:02:54 pm »
Most any of the white woods like hickory, maple, elm, hhb, and a plethora of others can make a round belly elb at that draw weight/length...the key here is to make it slightly longer than with yew or osage.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 02:05:36 pm »
I think mulberry is the best yew substitute for an unbacked ELB. Leave a couple rings of sapwood. As Ryan said, many woods will work if made longer/flatter.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 02:31:45 pm »
I guess I should clarify that I want to stick with boards versus staves because I don't really have access to staves unless I buy them and I don't know if I can justify a minimum of $50 for a stave since I don't have a whole lot of bows under my belt yet. I can buy Ipe locally or for that matter many other types of hardwood lumber. I think a laminate of two woods would probably be my best option and most forgiving to slight mistakes I might make.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 02:44:16 pm »
I like hickory backed ipe........
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:04:57 pm »
You can make an unbacked ELB with Elm, Ash, or Walnut. I have even seen a white oak in the ELB style. I think you could back ipe in hickory, maybe not with as much success but it should work.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 03:12:22 pm »
Sorry thats what I get for not reading the entire thread. Didn't see the post on board vs staves. But you might try contacting your cities forrestry service. I know forrestry in the city? I live in Kansas and we have a forrestry dept. they take care of the tree trimming on city right of way. Most places, not all but most have Elm and they get cut out often, see if they would contact you when cutting a tree out and you could get some staves from them. I have scored some Elm and Hackberry from the dept. here.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.