Author Topic: skin reaction to osage dust??  (Read 4804 times)

Offline adb

Re: skin reaction to osage dust??
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 08:23:13 pm »
I dont get itchy but osage and especially ipe will tighten up my chest at the base of my neck and its not comfortable so I wear a good respirator. I think dust masks are almost useless.

Dust masks are useless. They only work for maybe a minute or two, until they become completely clogged with dust, and then you might as well not wear it. I noticed with osage, ipe, and yew, that when I was using my belt sander, I would get a bit short of breath, and dizzy. And yes, yew is toxic. The berries and needles are extremely poisonous, so I don't imagine the dust is any better. I'm sure it probably causes cancer, as well. Please everyone, invest in a good respirator mask, and use it!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:28:34 pm by adb »

Offline billy

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 06:53:53 pm »
I've never noticed the itching reaction before...it seems to have come about only recently.  I am not allergic to anything...I can eat pollen for breakfast with no reaction.  But osage seems to be what's causing my itching problem  I'll wear long sleeves and a respirator from now on whenever working with it. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 07:41:32 pm »
Tracy, a lot of woodwind instrument makers get very sensitive to cocobolo.   it is really nasty stuff. 

piper

Offline Stoker

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 08:07:48 pm »
When using a power sander or any other tool that makes a lot of dust most hook up to a shop vac and I use a north half mask with hepa filters (the purple ones) same thing they use for asbestoes. Wood  antler and other stuff is just as bad for you. Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 10:17:12 pm »
I have all my dust producing power tools hooked up to a Delta 1HP dust filtration system, with 4" collection lines. However, I still wear my respirator.