Author Topic: Reflex limb ???  (Read 1804 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Reflex limb ???
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:46:51 am »
I'm working on my second bow, the first from a stave.  I am in the floor tillering stage.  It is a hickory stave.  Both limbs have reflex from the center of the bow.  One limb bends straight from the center a 1/2 refles.  The other has more of a belly reflex at mid-limb of 5/8 tip to center reflex..  I see 3 options:  1. Add a belly reflex to the straighter limb.  2.  Straighten the belly reflex and make it a straight reflex from the center.  3.  Work with the wood as is.

If option 3 is pursued, I'm making a huge assumption here, during the tillering I should estimate the amount of bend of the  belly reflexed limb to project the final tiller outcome.  Meaning, since one limb bends at mdi-limb away from me I should try to project amount of wood that needs to be removed in order to create the perfect arch by the time I reach my draw length.  My biggest concern is weakening the belly reflex to the point I have a hinge by the time I reach my draw length and target weight of 50 to 60 pounds.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:10:15 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: Reflex limb ???
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 03:07:26 am »
I have done two bows like this and I went with option three and just worked with it as it was. I just floor tillered it and then just tillered it like normal after a little bit the reflexed limb matched the other limb. I would not take off any extra wood in the reflexed area until you have it bending during tillering it would be to easy to take off to much. Once you have it bending a bit it will be easy to tell how much to remove.
SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 06:18:58 am »
I would go with option 1.I usually add some reflex anyway so while I am doing that I just even things up.Makes it much easier to tiller.Most Hickory seem to be that way to start with.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:46:55 am »
Thanks Pappy and Jmilbrandt for your thoughtful but difference styles of handling this problem.  Those are the 2 of the 3 options I was actually considering and for the same reasons you suggested.  I really didn't see a reason to remove the reflex, except just to make it easier for me. 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw