Author Topic: Bandsaw help  (Read 10623 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Bandsaw help
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 11:57:33 pm »
  If you do decide to go with a Rigid, I can give you a web site to by all the parts that break on that piece of crap. After research, I found out that the name Rigid, which everybody associates with strong pipe wrenches isn't the same. The wrenches are made in the USA and the power tools are Chinese Junk.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Adam Keiper

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 01:06:11 am »
If all you want to cut is square stock, 3/4" boards for board bows, a small saw may be just fine.  But if you intend to muscle irregular staves through it, save your money and forget it.  I have a 14" Grizzly with a 1HP motor that I regard as the absolute minimum for roughing out osage.  (Even that bogs down to a halt quite a bit.  Several times on most staves, in fact.)  It will handle boned out staves OK, but it won't let me tackle untrimmed, big log splits nearly as well as like, if at all.  After about 8 years, the motor is all but toast on it.  Fortunatlely, I have an industrious father in law who's been able to keep it limping along for me.  I'll have to price out a new motor much sooner than later I'm afraid, and may end up just upgrading to 2 or 3HP saw.

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 08:35:11 am »
Since medieval crossbow makers never had access to a band saw, hand tools should be fine.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

grover

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 12:32:22 am »
i have found out  that the blad is nuber one use ablad with 3 teeth per. inch

grover

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 12:34:57 am »
use a blad with 3 teeth per. inch

Offline mox1968

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 08:15:43 pm »
where ya from celt are you based in scotland??

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 03:25:20 am »
mox, I wish I was based in Scotland - pretty country. Alas no, I'm just a dope from the midwest who happens to have Scottish ancestry who wears Utilikilts practically every day almost all year 'round.

Offline cracker

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 04:54:43 pm »
Don't bother looking for a bandsaw Pappy has them all.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 07:32:26 pm »
Don't bother looking for a bandsaw Pappy has them all.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Aint that theTruth!!! Thats another thing besides being the Nicest Guy I have ever Met....he has more Toys than a Toys R Us Store!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 02:01:12 am »
I had a 9" Ryobi band saw given to me.  I have cut out a couple of osage bows with it.  It seems to work great.  I got a new blade for $8 at Lowes.  I bought the fewest TPI blade that they had.  I just take it nice and slow and it works for me.  Especially since it was free.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left