Author Topic: Should I back It?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Should I back It?
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:31:40 am »
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the forum, but made my first bow (hickory selfbow, 66" ntn, 55#@26") and am hooked.

I'm working on my second bow and have a question.  It's a red oak board bow with Bolivian rosewood riser and tip overlays and I'm wondering if I need to back it.  The board is from homedepot and the grain is pretty much perfectly straight, even 1/8" rings, the rings on the end grain are at about 45 degrees and it only had 2 rings run off the edge on a 6' length, no swirls or waves.  I wasn't planning on buying any wood there, but I couldn't pass up this piece.

I bought some navy blue linen to back it as I had seen many red oak board bows with some kind of backing, linen mostly.  As I've been reading posts on PA, I've seen a bunch of recommendations that, if red oak is straight enough, it doesn't need a backing.  The oak is gorgeous and I don't know if I want to cover the grain on the back if I don't have to.  Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Should I back It?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 11:03:35 am »
Not all board bows need a backing. It depends on the grain, not only the end grain or the run offs(or lack of them) along the back but also the side grain. Even with a linen backing a bow is noy immune to breakage. These backings just give you a bit more of a chance for success.
  Check out George Tsoukalas' site about board bows. He goes into the proper grain configuration for board bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »
if your board is as good as you say, probably ok without backing.  however if you do back it with the linen it would give some insurance and confidence.  I m sure you put lots of time and effort in it.  BTW were going to need some pics.  its the rules!!!

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:12:19 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  The grain is tright down the sides of the board as well.  I might back it just in case and it might end up looking pretty cool anyway.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)