Author Topic: Whats a good size sapling for a self bow of Black Locust????  (Read 3156 times)

Offline smokeu

Whats a good size sapling for a self bow of Black Locust????
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:35:34 pm »
Whats a good size for a self bow of Black Locust???? Im about to cut one of these saplings and was wondering what a good size would be to start with. And Im still learning, so... can I just remove the bark and have the sap wood for a backing on say a 3 in sapling. I  think i would have to cut at least a five inch to go with just the heartwood.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Whats a good size sapling for a self bow of Black Locust????
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 08:50:03 pm »
Mike, See Africa Man's recent post. I believe he used a 3" sapling. Looks like he just removed the bark and used the sapwood for his bow. If you remove the bark, be sure to seal the back as well as the ends.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline smokeu

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 11:21:07 pm »
thanks will do
Longview, TEXAS

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 11:34:30 pm »
Keep in mind that a heartwood back is best but yes you can make a BL sapling bow. My first shooter was made from a 2-3 inch or so sapling. One other point, the closer you get to the heartwood the stringer the sapwood so ring chasing is not completely out of the question. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!