Author Topic: First attempt failed  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Hoodoo

First attempt failed
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:43:16 pm »
Well............ I got to the tillering stage and was attempting getting the correct weight. I was shooting for about 55# and had it at about 48#s when it broke. It broke about mid limb wher there was bad grain.(the grain was very snakey and hard to get the tiller right, but im still not sure i had it right, im beginging to second guess myself.) But im gunna go out and attempt another!  :) :P

bearbowman

Re: First attempt failed
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 05:47:22 pm »
Been there. The way I understand it you should expect way more failures than success in the beginning. I keep overdoing it and missing my weight. I'm thinking about making my bows about 7' long so that by the time i'm done screwing up and piking it I'll have a bow the length and weight that I want. :D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 06:18:53 pm »
montana

have you been to georges web site as of yet? lots of great info for newbies and oldies on his site.  georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net   i think this is right
the one that broke,was it a stave or a board bow?
with board bow you really need to particular with the grain
atleast you have the right atitude and arent giving up
before and during the building process,take pics and post them on here and ask lots of questions,the folks here are more than willing to help you out.
good luck

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 06:21:24 pm »
Sorry to hear that ! It happened to me last night ! I'll post some pics tomorrow, so everyone can learn from my mistake..........
The only way to fail is to never start !

Shooter_G22

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:27:58 pm »
Montana,

Dont get dicurouraged or "second guess" yourself...   becuase all firts attempts are never failers...    you got a peice of wood shaped and into a floor tiller and then strung up and then all the way into the tiller stage...   that alone is a success..!  and a very big part of learning... and believe me you will learn more about bow building by having one blow up on you this early in your quest then to have your first one  luck out and turn into a shooter... 

so cowboy up and go start on that next one....     investigate the first one see all aspects of it and take your time on the next one and i bet you should be able to get alot better as you go... 

also...

you might not worry so much about wieght as you should worry about getting one to your draw and finished and comleted... get a few finished up at draw length and then start shooting for wieght... just some tips that might help or might not... ;)   

a couple of other things that might help... is to put a backing on the bow, that might help hold it togather and plenty of excersize during the tillering...

hope this helps...   hope to see pics of your next one at full draw ;)...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:16:29 am »
Thanks, sailordad.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Was this a board, Montana?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

slathrop

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 03:36:15 am »

a couple of other things that might help... is to put a backing on the bow, that might help hold it togather and plenty of excersize during the tillering...

hope this helps...   hope to see pics of your next one at full draw ;)...

When you say "exercise", can you explain a little bit?  I kow that means you draw teh bow back repeatedly to let the wook contract and expand to get used to being drawn and shot, but what is the correct number to exercise after each run with a cabinet scraper on the belly of the bow?  And should you do it slowly or quickly?

Mahalo Nui Loa

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 05:50:54 am »
i dont know how everyone else does it but i exercise 50 times per inch from brace height to draw, and 30 times each time i remove wood. i pull back at slow to med speed, dont know if speed is important though. hope this helps.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline cracker

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 07:12:10 am »
Brings a tear to my eye thinking of all the fun you're gonna have dodging splinters and debris.It will get better so stay at it. Even the old hands have one blow from time to time.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?