Author Topic: What was I thinkin?  (Read 6344 times)

Offline Dano

Re: What was I thinkin?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 10:01:28 am »
Like they say, "a bad day of fishing beats any day at work".  You know I bet ol wingnut would trade ya some bamboo for a few sticks of hedge. ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

DCM

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 10:09:25 am »
Them look like mighty generous thickness, 3/4"?

Bandsaw would save you some kerf, but one to do resaw that wide on osage well would need to be perty good size.

Seems like there'd be a happy medium, between gummy wet and so dry as to be too hard.  Personally, I don't find osage to be that much harder some whitewoods, say hickory or post oak as far as machining.  There's some oaks so dense and hard you's swear it was made outa rock.

Real fine job Timo.

Trade ya weekends, although wife did a fair measure of the real work.  Got my 'mater patch broke and covered w/ black plastic as well.  Needed to get back to work so I could rest.  LOL

Abbreviated pics at the "dove field" link:
http://home.comcast.net/~dcm4/site/

Lots more of pics where 13 yo dotter had the camera for a spell:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=19749&id=1496461875&l=2d1ea47687

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 10:39:23 am »
David,
My wife Lisa and I loved looking at the pictures of your farm. Good stuff . You are living the dream in our eyes. God willing our time will come and we can get out of the burbs and back to the sticks. Git er done.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 11:08:55 am »
Think I know what you were thinkin too Timo - Wow! What a stack of gold :o!! Just about anywhere in the SE states, thier's 6" diameter Moso, 40' tall I've found. Just need permission :).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 07:42:47 pm »
  Cowboy, I guess I don't need to bring any Bamboo to the Classic this year, Huh?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 09:30:17 pm »
Nope, hehehe..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 09:33:56 pm »
 Good I get tired of smelling it after 11 hours of driving. ;D  And I'm probally bringing up over 2000 tonkin shafts.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 10:43:42 pm »
Cowboy,there is some bamboo poles that are grown in or near tonkin bay.I have heard from very good sources that it is some of,if not the best you can get? Can't seem to find the source though. Any Ideas?

Wouldn't mind to try some of the stuff you got there. Looks like a good haul.

Sent ya a pm

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 12:37:21 am »
Tim, Japp Kopendreyer(?) is now living in South GA somewhere and has started growing bamboos of all(archery) types. He may know(or have) what you are talking about. Also, in Savannah or at least Chatham Co, GA. there is an old USDA research station, The bamboo farm, that has all types of bamboos. You might search them out for a source.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC