Author Topic: Asking for help with moisture content  (Read 3793 times)

triton

Asking for help with moisture content
« on: April 18, 2009, 07:17:32 am »
Hi all,
I've just been given the use of a moisture reader (hygrometer?), it's a fairly old Protimeter timber master with a shoulder strap, definately not the single handed items around now.
It has 3 buttons with a list of different woods but Yew isn't one of them, along with the push in probes, it has a hammer probe and another socket for temperature.
My request for help is to ask which woods would be comparible to Yew for moisture content?  Different staves are reading between 14-18%.  A piece of Yew under my desk is 14% along with a pair of Oak pew ends.
Have I already answered my own question and can safely assume that around 14% is an ideal ambient moisture?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Asking for help with moisture content
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:33:49 am »
I'm not sure what you are using but if it measures the actual moisture of the stave then I prefer 6-10%. I like hickory around 6% and osage at 8%. I've only worked a couple of yew and they were slow aged and I don't even remember if I checked their moisture. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 10:34:49 am »
if its a stave you checking.and its 14 percent.maybe you could rought out a bow (take all uwanted wood off)and bring it in side  70-80 degrees for a week and that might get you to 10 percent...john

triton

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 11:04:05 am »
10% is what I've read before but here's the trouble I'm having:
3 buttons on the meter; Green button 'A' has a list below from Ash - European to Walnut - American.
Red button 'B' lists Ash - America to Walnut - N. Guinnea.  Blue bitton 'C' lists Beech - European to Walnut - Queensland.  From the different woods I've tried it on, for instance Oak, the difference in readings between each of the ranges (Button A,B or C) can be between 2-4%.
On the same piece of yew I get results between 14-18% again depending on which range I use.
I suppose the resistance is altered depending on density of the wood and can only really be used as a rough estimate. If I wait until I get an average of around 10% would that suffice?  But then given the ranges and the omission of Yew, it could be + or - upto 4%

Or am I just being too anally retentive about it?  I was aiming for that 10% as that seems to be the figure most others have quoted.  I was just wondering if there is a comparible wood which will give me a clue.
Would you worry about 2-4% here or there?

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:19:52 pm »
Ok I understand. No idea whether the yew is A,B or C. Can you call the manufacturer? Jawge
Set Happens!

Aosda

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:34:00 pm »
Maybe this will help. It's for the new Protimeter Timber Master(hand held one).  But it's a reference chart for wood.

Tavis

http://testproducts.com/protimeter/manuals/wood_caibration_cross_reference-v2.pdf

triton

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 06:27:34 am »
Maybe this will help. It's for the new Protimeter Timber Master(hand held one).  But it's a reference chart for wood.

Tavis

http://testproducts.com/protimeter/manuals/wood_caibration_cross_reference-v2.pdf
Excellent.
I looked over their website but couldn't find that. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 11:03:12 am »
I have the Mini Ligno moisture meter. They have A and B woods. Osage was not on the list. I called them and they told me it was a B so the manufacturer will know most likely where yew is. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 11:24:50 am »
i just tap one end of my staves on the concrete floor of my basement
when it makes "ringing" type sound,instead of a "thud".then i figure its dry enough and make a bow from it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

triton

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 11:29:15 am »
i just tap one end of my staves on the concrete floor of my basement
when it makes "ringing" type sound,instead of a "thud".then i figure its dry enough and make a bow from it
I've heard of that method before but it escaped me when I needed it.  Usually I just leave em for a year but was offered this witchcraft electronic device.  was close to pinning tongue of lizard or eye of frog to the staves.   ;D

Jawge, thanks for your input.  from the PDF linked previously I should be reading the 'C' scale

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 11:35:59 am »
  Use the setting for doug fir and it will put you very close. Steve