Author Topic: New cordage material?  (Read 2660 times)

Offline KShip85

New cordage material?
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:47:47 pm »
I was cutting some fresh pineapple today and as I was looking at the leaves I decided to scrape them to see what kind of fibers there were.  I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried them in cordage.  They seemed pretty strong and fairly easy to harvest.  Any info would be great.  I might give it a try sometime just for kicks. Thanks.
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: New cordage material?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 07:01:37 am »
I never heard of pineapple cordage but what the heck,  give it a try.  This way if you are ever in a survival situation in Hawaii you will be well fed and have plenty of string.
Traverse City, MI

Pahinh.Winh

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 07:00:55 pm »
Hardly new.  The true Hawaiians made some very strong cordage from it.  Tied parts of their catamarans & other object together with it .  Forget us Original People?... Ooops..  ::)

Offline KShip85

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 05:54:02 pm »
Ok, well I guess new wasn't the best term.  Perhaps new to me at least.  I imagine that any natural material has been attempted as cordage by someone at some point.  Any way thanks for the replies.  One more think, any idea how it stacks up against flax or some of the other natural fibers.  A test would be interesting I think, the raw fibers seemed really tough.
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN