Author Topic: MAJOR BACKING PROBLEM !!!!  (Read 3181 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
MAJOR BACKING PROBLEM !!!!
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:03:29 pm »
I backed an ERC stave with two layers of sinew on Saturday.   At one of the tips the last growth ring and sinew backing split from the rest of the stave for about 4"  :o  I squeezed a mess of titebond 3 between in the split and then clamped it.   I figure I can wrap the tips with sinew to hold it together.  I was planning on wrapping the tips anyway.  Is this a viable plan or does this spell the end for this bow. :'(
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

Re: MAJOR BACKING PROBLEM !!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:08:43 pm »
I have no idea Rick if the jig is up or not ??? But on the bright side I just mailed you a box of replacement sinew ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:18:49 pm »
Wow that was a relief Dana I was afraid you were gonna say you spent the night at a holiday inn express.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 07:19:52 pm »
I had it happen to a lesser degree on a Birch Stave....I glued it with Super Glue...clamped it....and wrapped the Dickens out of Both End with Sinew and Hide Glue....it is still together ....My Dad has it....Sinew will draw up a bunch as it shrinks....and it will tear wood sometimes too....Heck Rick....Hide Glue if can pull Splinters out of a Glass Window....it will sure tear up wood!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:20:44 pm »
Wow that was a relief Dana I was afraid you were gonna say you spent the night at a holiday inn express.

Now that is FUNNY....even for a Suthin Boy................ ::) 8) ;D ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:28:43 pm »

Now that is FUNNY....even for a Suthin Boy................ ::) 8) ;D ;)
Careful after all I am your land lord.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 08:38:46 pm »
El Destructo
Jamie warned me that this might happen.  I can't believe how strong that shrinking glue and sinew is.  I guess I have no choice but to keep going with it.  If it blows it blows.   :-\.

Dana- That does make me feel alot better. ;D.  If this dosn't work out I'll be putting that sinew on a piece of Osage.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:05:54 am »
Rick, I have heard that sinew will separate the sapwood from heartwood on ERC. I have a 49" ERC stave shaped and waiting for sinew. It is about 50/50 heart/sap.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 06:53:38 am »
Rick, I have heard that sinew will separate the sapwood from heartwood on ERC. I have a 49" ERC stave shaped and waiting for sinew. It is about 50/50 heart/sap.

Waiting on sinew ??? I have it on good authority that you have a bunch of sinew Pat ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 05:20:31 pm »
Pat-
The stave is an all heartwood stave.  I was going to leave it with a sapwood back, but I just couldn't chase a sapwood ring without violation.  So I got it down to a complete heartwood ring.  It was much easier to see and chase that.  I know with a sinew backing it isn't really necessary to have a complete back, but I figured this would give it the best chance for survival.  I guess that isn't always the case ;D.   Hopefully the fix will work, if not I'll try again.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 07:14:10 pm »
...waiting for sinewing! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 07:23:35 am »
...waiting for sinewing! ;D

gotcha ;) :D

Manistique, MI