Author Topic: ?  (Read 2348 times)

Offline knap_123

?
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:18:02 pm »
i've been trying to get a bow straightened out and have had problems getting it done. i tryed again today  with heat and when it cooled i noticed some cracks on the belly. this is a relly dry piece of wood but i did try seam last week that did'nt work.  i think i can scrape it out but will really loose some weight but maybe not since its close to the fades and i'm not at brace height yet but close. i'll post some pics later

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:28:52 pm »
Are the cracks running parallel to the grain?  If so, they might be a result of steaming too dry a piece of wood.  If the cracks are running with the grain, and not running out (to the edge) you will probably be alright.  Did you try any dry heat bending on it yet?  Pictures will definitely help.
Traverse City, MI

StickBender55

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:36:19 pm »
Like Rick said if the crack is not running out the edge you should be OK. Pics will help.

With a straightening block and some clamps you can get your bow straight. Takes a little time and patience. I have done this on a selfbow I am building. It had a nice left bend in the fade area. I set it up in the block with clamps and pulled it just a little past where it needed to be and then began to work it with my heat gun. It only took about 5 minutes to get it hot enough. I left it in the block and clamps for a couple of hours until it was completely cool. Worked like a champ.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:15:52 pm »
well it does go to the edge but i'll try and file out it some. if nothing else its been a good learning experience.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:46:48 pm »
ive had this happen to hickory while trying to heat treat the belly. i keep my eyes open for it now, with a bottle of superglue right handy. as soon as i find a crack developing, i run a bead of the superglue down the crack, and spread it in with my finger. the wood is still VERY hot so the glue soaks right in. ive never had any problems with these cracks. but like they said, you might if they run off the edge.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:49:56 pm »
hr he bow and you can see the limb i'm talking aBOUT  hre it is after heating and straghtening. its on the left and the limd sticking up.  heres my new discovery itook it out ide and fld it down some to see how deep it goes. some of it cleaned up nicely and i will work sommore on the remaning crack tomarrow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:33:25 am »
From the coloration of the crack and the belly it looks like you scorched the wood, but the crack was already there. Did you allow time for the wood to rehydrate before you stressed the bow? Especially in dry winter climates. Wood bows are very dry now anyway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knap_123

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 11:04:56 pm »
hey guys, well i got my bow to brace height 5" and no problems except broke 2 strings!  way to heavy at the time to work the limbs to much.   spent a few hrs. scrapeing and  and looking and scrapeing and i got to this point. its only 19" and 55#  and i'm shooting for 24" since i got short arms. :-\  but after iquit for the day and unbraced it that f%$#@^^  crook was back in the limb i keep trying to straighten >:( anyway any and all critisim is neededsince i dont no really what i'm doing here, thanks john ;D

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 11:53:37 pm »
In that drawn picture I can see that she's not bending much except in the fades.
 That crook that came back is probably a result of a hing in that area where you scraped the cracks out.  Your probably gonna have to just get used to the crook, since at this point anything you do to try to reverse it will likely only make it worse.
   Get her bending more from mid limb out, to relieve some of the stress from the inner limbs. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.