Author Topic: I need more help with feathers, please  (Read 5552 times)

Offline Timo

Re: I need more help with feathers, please
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 08:02:33 am »
Moth balls. Becaus I like the smell. Reminds me of my Grandmas place.:)

Offline billy

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 10:42:53 pm »

On several occasions I've found little fuzzy, brown grubs have eaten my feathers.  I looked it up and it turns out to be the larval stage of a common carpet beetle.  they will also eat sinew, rawhide, fur, and anything animal based.  Take the bag of feathers and shake it to knock all the little grubs off the feathers, then put the feathers in a new bag in the freezer for a few days.  Take the little grubs you find and put them in a huge bonfire and burn the little bastards till there's nothing but ash left.  Those carpet beetles will destroy feathers, so kill them any chance you get.  They seem to like dark, quiet places.  Items that are handled regularly don't often get eaten, but the sinew that's in drawers or the feathers that are in closets are often infested.  Of course you can use mothballs and that'll drive them out quick (or kill them if they can't get away from the fumes).  Also, I had several bags of feathers, and one bag happened to fall on the floor...that one bag had the grubs in it and the feathers were all chewed up.  The other bags were fine. 

Seems the grubs live in the carpet, so don't keep anything like that on the floor, otherwise they'll find it and eat up your stash of feathers. 

Hope that helps.   
Marietta, Georgia

Fletcher the Arrow Maker

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 12:42:30 am »
I am new to the forum, but good advice above.  Freezing will kill the bugs, shortly after your wife will kill you.  After about a week in the freezer, air dry the feathers, preferably in a warm air fan.  Then pliuck or cut them out of the wings and store in good heavy duty ziplocs with a mothball inside.  Both Turkey and Geese can have mites in the wild.  They will also pick up all kinds of household pests as well.

I have so many arrows now that I store them in open round waste baskets, but I do get concerned about bugs in my shop.

I would think keepiing arrows in a closed cardboard arrow box with a small mothball would do the trick.

I think y'all down south with warmer temperature and humidity would suffer worse than us here in the great white and dry north.