Author Topic: beech bow  (Read 6487 times)

giodiciassette

beech bow
« on: March 01, 2009, 08:38:02 am »
hi, I'm an Italian guy and my English isn't too well so.....
i found a beech branch 1.46 meter long and 0.1 meter in diameter. I'd like to make with it my first bow but i need some info about things to be done.....

If someone has some advice.....

Thanks

Giovanni

Offline AndrewS

Re: beech bow
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:41:05 am »
Hi,
if you have a branch of this beech "Fagus-sylvatica", you have to look for another wood species, because I think this sort of beech is not for bowmaking!

giodiciassette

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:24:03 am »
ah.....OK.....i didn't know!!

If you can give me some advice anyway i can just practise a bit......

thanks

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:35:56 am »
well i wont say it wont make a bow.

i dont own any books on bowmaking or what woods are better than others.i have read more than once that any wood wil make a bow but some excel at it others dont.
however i have a made several bows and know that only experience is the key to working wood into a bow.
now i am not real sure what 1.4m is,i am thinking that comes out to about 4.5 ft.kinda short for a slefbow.
however it will make for good practice and give you a good idea what the wood is capable of.
so if its 4.5 ft,then .1m diameter should be about 4 inches.

i would remove all bark and cambium,then i would rough shape it into a bow and let it dry for a few weeks before going any further.
while drying after it has been roughed out,you may want to clamp it down to prevent warping/twisting.
after a few weeks of drying,if it makes a ringing type noise when tapped on the concrete or hard floor it should be good to go.
i would then proceed to make a bend thru the handle bow, or a "d" bow as they are refered to.
should be able to get a 26" draaw from it if you ae carefull,not sure what kind of weight.like i said i have never used that wood.

i say go for it and while your making that one you can always look for more suitible woods to use.

good luck and ask as many questions as you would like and as always post pics of the stave/bow as you are building it.especially when asking questions.
makes it much much easier to get the proper answers.you have access to some the best slefbow makers in the world on this web site. so use it to your advantage.

good luck

peace,
                                                                                          tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JustAim

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:50:38 am »
When in doubt leave it alittle bit long and wide. lf theres any knots in the wood try no avoid them. l have made a bow from american beech before and it came out good. And as far as l know any wood can be made into a bow. An expert bowyer once told me that he even made a bow from pine before and it came out just fine.

nickf

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:30:06 pm »
I'd search for Hazel if I were you, great wood, and very well fitted for beginners; it never breaks :)
sapligns between 1 and 4inches (2,5 and 10cm)  will give powerfull bows, the ones above 2" will give 100#+  for sure.

Nick

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 03:07:55 am »

season the beach well...and then cut it to small pieces and have a barbecue!

beech has to short fibres to make a bow.

try hazel or ash!

f.
Frank from Germany...