Author Topic: question on Torges' handle method...  (Read 8683 times)

Offline adb

Re: question on Torges' handle method...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 01:26:23 pm »
TB2 or TB3 recommends not toothing before glue up. Smooth perfectly matching surfaces are what they suggest for best results, as the glue bond takes place at the molecular level. I have toothed the belly surface before glue up with TB3 in the past with no failures, but I don't anymore.

As far as books go... the TBB series is truly the bible of trad bow making, and I refer to it weekly. Torges' book is also invaluable, but it requires a bit of previous knowledge, and contains some very subtle advanced information. It is certainly worth owning, especially for the BBO builders.

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 08:52:51 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for the advice on the glue.  I will check out Amazon and see if they have a deal on The Bowyer's Bible.

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 12:28:22 am »
you can get the whole set (4 books) from 3 rivers archery. i don't have my catalogue in front of me right now, so i cant tell you how much they cost, but i remember its pretty reasonable.

Pat, Good idea about the leather on the back of the grip. i don't think ill be putting a handle wrap on these, so if i do use the leather on the back, ill probably soak it in superglue. I also like your "bow quiver", good idea with the straps wrapping around the base of the point. What do you do for the bottom to hold the arrow?

One more question, Justin and David specifically, do you glue everything up all at once, or do you glue the power lam on first, then the backing ect?

i know I'm just thinking this problem through too much, and that it will come out alright. I'm just one of those that likes to have all his aquatic avian linear (all my ducks in a row) before i start a project.

Thanks!

stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 12:49:39 am »
I hold the arrow shaft with a finger on my bow hand. It is great for stalking and safe to boot. Art Butner made this one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 02:23:41 am »
I glue the power strip and boo to the core at the same time..

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 03:09:21 am »
ok cool Pat, looks like im gonna have to make one of thoes. i hold my arrow like that anyhow, usually with the arrow going under my pointer finger, over my middle, and under my ring. looks like it would be a whole lot easier/safer. thanks.

David, i kinda figured that was how ya did it, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for all the help guys!
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 08:23:25 am »
Those broadhead sheaths are designed to hold the broadheaded arrow in place without any assistant Pat.  You just have to fold one of those flaps back on its self and that'll secure the arrow in place without any assistant from the bow hand. One I gave you is more for use in a back quiver but I believe I converted that one for your bow. Will send you one more suitable for your bow next time I ship you something.

ART B