Author Topic: Loquat Tree  (Read 4829 times)

Offline Parnell

Loquat Tree
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:48:42 pm »
Greetings and salutations,

This is my first post on the site after sitting quietly for a month or so now and devouring information.  I'd like to first say a heartfelt thank you to the many of you who pass on knowledge and with a pleasant disposition.  I appreciate the passion and will do my best to be a positive member of the community.

A quick self introduction.  My first name is Stephen and I live in SW Florida.  I admire primitive archery for it's cultural root and its balance between simplicity and demand for skill.  I believe in not wasting resources and am in pursuit of constant improvement with that regard. 

I've made two succesful bows.  A first red oak.  Second is Ipe with a poplar backing.  Last night I fletched my first arrow with a beef bone arrowhead.  Never owned a store bought bow.  My goal is to become more refined using primitive techniques.

So, all advice and criticism is welcome and taken with the appropriate measure of a 'grain of salt'.

All that said, I've been given a Loquat tree.  It is about 8'.  The dried cut has a beautiful golden orange color.  The density is formidable and alike Ipe upon my initial examination.  It has been cut for 2 weeks and I've stripped the thin papery bark.  The tree came from the yard of a man who hails from the Azores.  He stated the wood is highly prized as a furniture wood in Portugal.

I'm attaching pictures.

Questions:

1.  What would be the best tools to cut staves with?
2.  Anyone ever use this wood before and had success?
3.  How long to dry?

Look forward to any input. 

Thanks,

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: Loquat Tree
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 05:55:55 pm »
either use a sledge and a wedge to split it or saw it into staves.
    i connot vouch for how it is for bow wood....yet.   i do have a stave of it myself that is ready to go but i am in no hurry. although it i a fruit tree so im sure it will work out just fine
     i would let it cure at least 1 year after splitting it, be sure to seal up the ends and backs and very careful opf bugs, they love the fruit trees!- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 06:00:23 pm »
Me again, I'm having trouble seeing how to post the pictures.  Should I just download pictures in additional options or do people use the insert image icon?  Tried using the icon but it didn't work.

How are members posting pics?

Thanks...
1’—>1’

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:31:54 pm »
download them with additional options
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

nickf

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 06:33:05 pm »
split or saw it, then, when working the staves down to bowsize, bending a little, they will be dry within 2weeks, or take a month for safety. keep them full width over the whole length tho, incase it warps a little, you won't have problems with string allignment ;)

greetings, Nick

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 04:38:56 am »
.... ipe with a poplar backing...?
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:48:26 am »
ipe with a popular backing is a suprise , how does it shoot?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 01:06:54 pm »
Thanks for the advice on the tree.  I'll put it to good use.

The Ipe bow shoots great and I like the wood contrast.  It is 64" and 58#@28".  Opinion is that of a beginner, though.

I'm still having difficulty attaching pictures.  I'm getting an error saying I'm exceeding 200kb.  I'll figure it out...
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 01:21:05 pm »
Shrunken picture attempt...

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’